I Need You, Like Water In My Lungs

Marina

"Hey, Mary!" I turned around, a smile on my lips. Only he called me that. "Matty!" I opened my arms and he began spinning me around. "I missed you, baby girl." he kissed my nose and i smiled. He had turned into such a handsome man. His long curly hair, falling to the one side. His jaw line was just as sexy as ever.

He got skinnier. I also noticed his new tattoo on his chest. He was wearing his ripped jeans and a white shirt with roses, nothing more. He was eyeing me from head to toe. I had changed too. My long,brown,wavy hair now went down to my waist. I got curvier, but in a nice way. I was in my high waist short jeans and my white tank cropped top.

"So what do you have planned for your sweet-22nd-birthday?" he asked, smiling widely. I shrugged and chuckled. "I haven't really thought of anything... I was too excited when you told me you were returning from France." I admitted. He hit the back of my head "ow!"

"Ah, what do you have in there?" he poked my forehead. "It's your 22nd birthday! You're a grown up woman now! You should celebrate that!" he huffed and crossed his arms. I bit my lower lip, thinking. We eyed each other and smiled "The usual?" we asked in one voice and chuckled. We checked our money and rushed to the closest store. We bought four bottles of vodka and made our way to the beach.

There was a certain part of the beach which only us two knew about. We settled down and began drinking while laughing and teasing each other. Without realising it, night had fallen. "Matty?" I mumbled, lying on the sand. He eyed me. "Why didn't you ever called?" I let it out. My eyes were getting teary and i was slightly shaking.

Matty drunk some vodka and turned his gaze towards the sea. "I couldn't" he stated. "Didn't you miss me? Did you forget everything we have been through?" I asked and i realised he was crying. "Marina...I tried. I tried to forget. Everything we did, you...us. I only got you hurt multiple times. I was no good for you..." I crawled towards him and grabbed his shirt. "Why did you come back?" I asked and he leaned towards me. "I... couldn't forget." he pressed his lips against mine and began kissing me passionately.

He gently laid me on the sand and ran his hands through my body, caressing every inch of it. "No matter how hard i tried." He mumbled and continued kissing me...

--------------

Next Morning

I slowly opened my eyes. I felt strong arms around me and i could smell a familiar perfume. His perfume. I turned around and saw him sleeping soundly next to me. I removed his arms and got out of the bed, putting my underwear on and his shirt. I made my way to the kitchen. I knew his house too well, having grown up here. How did we even get here?

I rubbed my eyes and sat on a chair. I should feel happy..but i felt empty. I didn't feel anything, i felt as if he was never here as if we never made love. And that wasn't the first time this happened. Me and Matty have been making love ever since we turned 19. We joined our bodies multiple times,but i never found sense in this. We never said anything 'proper' to each other. We never were a couple. We just grew up together. Joined our lives.

My gaze fell on an invitation on the table. It looked like a wedding invitation. I had imagined me and Matty getting married so many times in the past. I strenched my arm to grab it, but Matty's voice cut me. "Good morning" I smiled at him. Acting as if nothing had happened. We were friends. Maybe something more. Maybe soulmates. We were bound together

He walked towards me and sat on the chair next to me. He was in his boxers, his hair a curly mess which made him ten times hotter than usual. His eyes fell on the invitation and he turned pale. He pushed it away and held my hands, looking right into my hazel eyes. "Marina." he mouthed. Everytime he called my name, I would slowly melt.

"I missed you." He caressed my cheek. I lowered my head and gulped. I removed my hand from his. "Where will this lead us,Matt?" I managed to mumble. "I'm tired. So tired.." Matty touched my chin and made me face him. "I can put an end to this. I can fix this, you just need to say the word. It's... our last chance." he said, holding my hands again.

I opened my mouth to answer but no words came out. I glanced at him. I recalled all the pain i brought him. All these times i couldn't save him. The times he cried because of me. I was poison in his blood. I couldn't let him destroy himself. "I'm sorry Matthew.." I stood up and moved towards the bedroom to get changed.

I put on my clothes and walkes towards the door. Before leaving, I eyed him. He was standing against the wall, staring at me. I could feel tears forming in my eyes, so i closed the door and hurried my way to my apartment.