Chapter XVIII

Eighteen

THE NEWS WAS on when my eyes flipped open. I had to take a moment to remember where I was. I slept so hard that I thought we were in the dorm, but we we're in a hotel. Ever done that before?

     I grabbed my tank top and put it on under the sheets. Oscar was laying on his stomach near the end of his bed watching TV. His bed was made.

     Logan was sitting at the edge of our bed with a towel wrapped around his waist. He must've just gotten out of the shower. And honestly, he shouldn't wear that towel. He's gorgeous.

     I sat up straight and rubbed my eyes. I pulled my knees up a little so the circulation would move blood to my legs and feet.

     Logan looked back at me. "Watch the news," he told me.

     Then I knew something was wrong.

     A lady with blond hair and a microphone was standing in front of a battle ground. "Last night, the mutants attacked the normals, and this caused some problems in Texas. The normals are moving up north to get away from the mutants. I'm standing here with Joe Goodman, a normal. Joe, how do you feel about this attack?"

     Goodman looked like a rich man, and he also looked extremely against mutants. "I feel horrible. They set my son's farm on fire, and my family didn't make it. They burned." He took a step forward. "I will find the mutants who set my family on fire. I'll set them on fire. Those sons of *BEEP* should learn to never mess with my family."

     Oscar flipped the channel. "There's more."

     A tall man stood with a microphone in front of the mansion. "Last night, a class five mutant escaped from the cell she was put in because she was too dangerous, even for this school, Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. I'm here with Milo Xanders, a new mutant who arrived yesterday afternoon, and Professor Charles Xavier, the headmaster of this school."

     Milo said, "A friend of-of mine said that the mutant was going to escape. I-I went to go and get the X-Men, but by the time I found them all, the-the mutant had escaped."

     I noticed that Milo was scared. His hands were trembling, and he was stuttering. This seemed odd because he didn't seem scared about the bike accident.

     "We don't know where she is going," said the Professor. "She's figured out how to block herself from being found. All we know is that she is with Magneto, a powerful mutant. Be aware."

     Oscar turned off the tv.

     I looked at Logan. "She's going to come for me."

     "Get dressed," he said. "We're leaving."

(X)

I had no idea where Logan was taking us, just that he was going extremely fast. I tried shielding us from both the Professor and Jean. This was hard, but I could do it. Being in a coma for two months really throws off your strength. Try your hardest not to get into a coma.

     Oscar somehow managed to take a nap during Logan's reckless driving. I was surprised that he could do it.

     "Logan," I said, taking his hand.

     "Yes?" He kept his eyes on the road.

     I stroked the back of his hand with my thumb. "Did you try to kill me?"

     He didn't answer at first, and I wasn't sure if he was hesitating to answer, or he didn't have an answer. When he finally did, he sighed and drummed his thumbs on the steering wheel. "Yes and no," he answered.