chapter 9

Jake had watched as Kat struggled with the test. He chuckled and returned to his test. Kat had always been more of a fighter than a studier. Jake had known the material because he had always been interested in math. Suddenly Kat sped up. She kept turning the pages. Jake assumed she was just flipping through because he hadn’t heard her pencil scratch at the paper.

“Jake. Jake!” Kat called out shaking Jake. She squeezed his hand roughly and leaned up against his shoulder. Jake was confused even though it was no secret that they were dating Kat hadn’t really shown affection during school. Jake was about to tell her that he wouldn’t help her cheat but he felt Kat shiver. That set off warning bells. The room was extremely hot, probably an attempt by Mr. Maxson to torture some of his students. Kat practically crawled into Jake’s lap. Correction she did crawl into Jake’s lap. Jake blushed heavily. Mr. Maxson watched curious but he knew Jake wouldn’t give Kat the answers. Kat snuggled into Jake’s chest and fell asleep. Jake supported Kat with one arm and took his test with his other. Ben had watched while this was happening. He knew something was wrong. He continued to work on his test. He had two more pages before he was finished. Mr. Maxson had the class skip English and History while the quiz lasted. The other teachers were peeved but took the opportunity to grade homework. Even Ben’s team had given up on the last problem. When Ben finished he took Kat from Jake so he could focus. Jake glared at him slightly. When Derek finished he immediately started yelling at Mr. Maxson.

“P vs. NP? Really Alan? One of the seven unsolved problems?” Korey jumped when she heard her father’s name. She looked around. She had been too focused on her quiz to realise her surroundings. She glared slightly at Kat when she realized that Kat was laying in Bens arms. She realised that Kat was sweating and didn’t seem to be having a good rest so she scolded herself. Why am I glaring at Kat? She’s my friend and has always been there for me. But for some reason when I see how close she is with Ben I get really mad. I got mad at her last week too… Korey thought. I want to know why he is so protective of her. I want him to be that way to me. Korey admitted to herself. She decided she would go talk to him after school. Korey finally snapped out of her thoughts and saw that Ben had returned to his seat and Derek and Mr. Maxson were still arguing.

“You need to call me Mr. Maxson!” Alan shouted.

“Whatever Alan! You still shouldn’t have put that on the quiz.” Suddenly the door slammed open. Timothy Green was standing in the doorway

“You two need to shut up! We are all trying to work on paperwork and your arguing is giving me a headache! Derek call him by Mr. Maxson because for god knows what reason you decided to return to high school! So he is your superior! You should probably go out to the workforce like normal people stop living under Aunt Lilah and STOP BEING SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT!” Derek lowered his head slightly and Alan could feel the anger radiate off of him. He decided to try and stop Derek. He timidly stepped in front of him.

“Timothy…. I think you….” Derek, despite being smaller, managed to move his older rivel behind his back. Mr. Maxson yelped.

“Tim, Tim, always the favorite. ‘Why can’t you be like Timothy? Why do you have to be such a failure?’ I graduated from high school two years before you but I had to work 24/7 to pay for the college while it was just handed to you Timothy. I went to College same as you. You assumed I was always there because I liked to hang out around Alan because he was in a higher class then me so I looked up to him. But no. You never noticed the tag on the door that said that Alan and I were roommates. He was my only friend when I had skipped four grades up but no one else noticed. I graduated top of both of my classes but no one noticed. I came home exhausted and cooked my own dinner but no one noticed. I moved out years ago because living on the streets was better than living with Lilah but no one noticed. I was never allowed to hang out with the family during holidays while mom told you all how I was a greedy child and took her for granted. Everyone pitied her and blamed it on my bastard father. No I didn’t hang out with Alan because he was an upperclassman. I hung out with him because he was the only one who treated me like I was not a failure. I taught until I realized that there was three of my students needed my help so I show them what I know and they do the same. I am here because my students needed help and I have much more to teach and learn from them. Leave this classroom Tim-a-thy.” Derek said enunciating the syllables he smiled sweetly but everyone knew that through that smile Derek was pissed. “Can´t you see that the students are taking a test.” Mr. Green stood by the door unmoving before Mr. Maxson pushed him out and shut the door. Derek sighed and felt something wet roll down his cheeks. He reached up and wiped it and realized it was tears. Before he could even do anything he felt another hand reach up and gently wipe the tears off his face.