o n e

"Niall, please be careful and look after Aisling," my mam says worriedly.

"Mammy, he's only a year older, and I'm way smarter," I say, sticking my tongue out at Niall.

"Hey!" Niall pouts.

"See, this is why I worry," she chuckles gently.

"She will be safe with us, Mum. We may be idiots, but I'd do anything to protect my sister," Niall assures her.

"Well... just one more hug before you go, my loves," she says, holding her arms out.

We both walk into her arms and let her engulf us amorously. Niall towers over both me and Mum and looks far too large for this situation.

Niall is taking me along on their Take Me Home tour. I am to be their opening act because their other opening act fell through, and Niall decided to be a chancer and take it upon himself to chat with management about me.

We walk out the front door, blowing kisses to my mum as we head towards the car. Our suitcases are already in the boot.

My brother opens the car door for me, and then he walks over to his side to get in. We wave to my mum as we drive away, and I can see her getting all teary.

"So, are you excited?" Niall says giddily.

"'Course. But a bit nervous too," I say.

"Why? The lads love you," Niall asks.

"That's not what I'm worried about, Nialler," I laugh. "I'm just worried about singing in front of a bajillion people."

"You'll be fine! You're deadly, Ash," he says.

"Thanks Nialler, at least you think so," I laugh.

"Believe me, if you weren't, then you wouldn't be performing. It'll be grand, believe me!" Niall says. "Just get ready for your name to be butchered during interviews."

"Interviews?" I ask.

"Bang on, you'll probably be at some interviews, or some will be requested. After all, you are our opening act and my sister," he says.

"I can't wait, they haven't a baldy notion how to say your name. Neil, Nigel, Niell Haren, Neall," I laugh.

"Yeah, it's grand, with your name, it's going to be like aceling, or like aisling," he laughs.

"Why did Greg get the easy name?" I fake complain.

"Hey! Yer right! Why did he get the easy name?" Niall laughs.

"Proof that he's the favorite," I say, shrugging.

"I always thought you were the favorite," he says.

"Oh, no way. Mammy totally favors you and Greg over me. You are her little golden boys, c'mon now," I insist.

"Wrong," Niall says. "You're the only girl, and you're the youngest."

"I'm still thinkin' Greg's the favorite," I say.

"We will file a complaint when we get home," he says.

"Ye that sounds good," I say.

"Y'know, we are gonna have to slow our speaking down with the lads, or they'll never understand us. They always say when I talk to you or anyone else Irish, our voices always speed up. Just happens naturally. People tend to think we have our own alien language," Niall says.

"You're right. I'm not very good at that. It's funny people think that," I laugh. We did talk a mile a minute sometimes.

"You get used to it," he says and looks ahead. "Not long away now."