Chapter 11

Fletcher shook his head and snorted a laugh. "Look at you, Abby. You look like a beggar. Where is that fine dress I bought for you?"

She wanted to refuse to answer but knew him too well. A well-placed kick would cause the pain she felt to increase. "Sold it," she said, looking at his feet. "I needed the money."

"And all the jewelry?"

"I sold what I had on but I didn't take the rest of it. I left it in the vault."

"Then who took it?"

"I don't know." He didn't look as if he believed her. "I swear it, Fletcher. I didn't take it." She didn't know who took the jewelry but she had her suspicions. She wasn't about to voice them though. If someone was able to get one over on Fletcher, then good for him. Someone needed to. She sat up, wincing as pain traveled up her back.

He squatted to be eye level with her. "Do you realize how much trouble you've caused me, Abby? Why, I've damn near spent every dime we stole from Crandall."

At the mention of the name, Abigail tensed. Jacob Crandall was the richest man in all of Atlanta. Well, he was until Fletcher had gotten through with him. With her help, they'd swindled every dime they could out of the man. Then Fletcher had shot him, the man's blood splattering her face when he did. She'd stood staring at that lifeless body for unknown amounts of time as Fletcher cleaned out what remained of the man's safe. Staring down at that lifeless face, she knew Fletcher had set her up. The dinners he insisted she go on with the man had all been a ruse. The people who knew Jacob Crandall also knew he was planning on asking her to marry him. And they all knew she was the last person he'd been with when they found his body. Fletcher had set her up in more than one way. He'd turned her into the whore he claimed she was for his own gain and pinned a murder she didn't commit on her.

He was still talking, the dull cadence of his voice a buzzing echo in her head. She lifted her eyes and looked at his face. He was grinning at her. "What do you want?"

The smile vanished and he lifted one eyebrow. "Why, I want you, darlin'. Same thing I've always wanted." Fletcher reached out, fingering a curl next to her face. "I've missed you."

Her stomach revolted at his words and touch. She leaned back so he couldn't reach her. "You don't want me," she said. "You never did. You just needed someone to cheat all those men you're always finding."

He looked offended and lifted a hand to lie over his heart. "That's not true, Abby. I've always wanted you. As a matter of fact, despite all the trouble you've caused me, I still do."

"What is it this time, Fletcher? Or better yet, who is it?"

The look on his face told her she'd guessed right. He shifted before meeting her eyes. "I met a man in Missoula who has more money than he'll ever need. You, my sweet Abby, will help me divest him of it. It's the least you can do for all the trouble you've caused me."

"Then what?"

He smiled but it looked more feral than anything. A flashing of his teeth and a deadly glint in his eyes. "Then, I'll rid myself of you forever." He grabbed her arm and pulled her roughly to her feet. Abigail gasped, the cramps in her stomach increasing.

Dragging her with him toward the trees, she saw his horse. She recognized it. It was the spotted mare from the livery stable in town. "How long were you in Willow Creek?"

He glanced down at her before shoving her toward a nearby tree. "Long enough to know you'd taken up with the town marshal." He laughed, the sound abrupt and without mirth. "I have to admit, Abby, that was the smartest thing I've ever known you to do. Why, I'd applaud you for it if it hadn't caused me so much trouble."