Chapter Five: Real (1/3)

Aurora's POV

"I said it before, and I'll say it again. Life is not like a movie. Happy endings are very complicated, and if they weren't... Then That moment and seventh grade would have been a defining moment for me in a very good way. But I'm sad to say that it wasn't."

"Why are you telling me this?" Celeste asked. I smiled at her, hugging her neck as hard as I could.

"You need to know in order to understand everything that I'm about to tell you. If you don't have the backstory, how are you supposed to understand the present?"

Her eyes were like the flash of lightning before a big storm. Bright and intense. There was so much that she had that she wanted to say, I could sense it without question. But even the stubbornness and her program wasn't enough to overpower her compassion for me. She sighed and pawed at the ground. "All right she said, so what happened next."

"Life happened next," I explained coolly, "the kid's at school heard about Mark's dad and rumors spread fast."

"What is with humans and rumors?" Celeste sneered. She pulled her head out my grip and snorted through her nose. "Eidions have no need for such viscous words. We are perfect, flawless creatures."

I couldn't help but laugh. Celeste's tongue was among the sharpest I'd ever encountered. She was no stranger to battlefield quick-witted smack talk, but at the same time I did see her point. She never spread rumors. If she wasn't sure whether or not something was true, she simply wouldn't say anything at all. The golden rule.

Her steady pace slowed as we approached the outskirts of the Village of Carne- the first place I had encountered Ainz. I let out a heavy breath and slipped off Celeste's back, letting my fingers linger on her scaly back. "Why are we here?" I questioned, trying not to let the frustration leak into my voice. I'd already searched this place for answered and turned up empty-handed. No one had seen Senshi or had any clue about any thing from Yggdrasil.

Celeste was reading my mind, I could sense her presence in my head as my train of thought become increasingly more erratic. "You already know why we're here." She replied simply. "Ainz is here."

"Ugh." I felt my face wrinkle up with disgust. I didn't care how genuine his reasoning was behind leaving me behind, I was still furious with him. "He's probably out looking for missions to gather more information." I told her, my tone dripping with negativity. "That's what I would do."

"That very well could be, but we're not here to team up with him."

My body and face reacted in unison. I quickly turned to her letting the shocked and puzzled expression consume me. She laughed as I nervously grabbed hold of my hair and started braiding it. "I feel like I should be concerned." I told her. "What evil plan are you conjuring up now?"

"Nothing evil." She insisted, but I didn't believe her for a second. "We're just here to do our own thing, and if we just-so-happen to trail him, then so be it."

"That would give me the opportunity to work on my glamour and stealth," I hummed, "but it'd be humiliating if we were caught. He'd treat us like a child."

"So we won't be caught," Celeste said as she trotted off into the direction of the village, "besides, think of how great it would feel to rescue him!"

She had a point, but it still felt counter-productive and risky. Best case senario, I prove to Ainz that I can take care of myself and that I'm a worthy companion. Worse case, Ainz has to rescue me proving his own point right. And then I really would be locked in a tower. And Aster would never let me live that down. Was the gamble actually worth it?