The Shadows that Kill

Lights flickered.

And the shadows began to close in.

They thrive in the absence of light. And in the cover of darkness, they will drain you of your blood and lick your bones clean. Remember that, Elliot. Never forget.

They had told him to hide. But how do you hide from the shadows?

They had told him to run. But what do you do when your strapped to a chair, in an empty room where your entire existence relies on single, dying light bulb?

He had not come to terms with his inevitable death.

He was not ready to let go.

Not yet.

Elliot let out a frustrated roar as he thrashed against his straight-jacket. The material dug into him like a second skin, binding his arms completely useless against his side. All the training in his life could not have prepared him for this moment.

"Elliot," it whispered, so sinister and so close, that he could have sworn he felt the chill of its breath tickling his neck.

Something tugged at his feet.

"My sweet, sweet boy..."

Elliot felt its icy fingers begin to encircle his ankle in a vice-like grip. He held in a shudder when sharp nails cut into his stinging skin.

"Stop," Elliot begged, his breathing ragged. "Please stop."

It replied by gripping his ankle tighter, its slimy tongue licking off the warm droplets of blood as it oozed from his cuts.

"You're nothing but food. Merely a human," it hummed in twisted delight. "I wonder if your flesh tastes as sweet as your blood."

And when the lights flickered off, Elliot discovered what if felt like to have his limbs ripped out of their sockets, and the noise of something chewing on his raw flesh.

The process was over in less than a minute.

He didn't stop screaming for another five.