1

For a job that allowed you to become whoever you wanted to be, it sure was limiting, 

Sloane didn't have any identifiable tattoos or piercings, no memorable quirks, no visible birthmarks or everlasting scar. She wasn't stunning, which allowed her to blend in when it called for that and made it easy to disappear when the time inevitably came to do so. Her hair changed like the weather and tried to go as far as possible in not leaving an online footprint. 

Which was probably why she was so mad when Detective Zuma had caught up with her, proverbial hand in the cookie jar, in what was supposed to be an easy job. And if she had had her wits, she may have been able to talk her way out of it. 

But it was not everyday the cops apprehend you moments after the love of your life is gunned down next you. There wasn't much of convincing of your innocence you could do in bloodied clothes. 

Like promised, her "handler" a tall, dark skin no-nonsense type woman  who reminded Sloane of Viola Davis was there to pick her up outside the Durban Women's Correctional Facility. Sloane came to stand in front of her, to study the professionally dressed woman, who merely made her way to the drivers seat.

"I was promised a hair appointment." She didn't have anything with her other than a book, she had on a ratty white t-shirt and worn jeans, with a pair of converses with no socks. As she settled into the passenger seat of the Honda, she took a deep breath in.

She was free.

But even as she said this, she knew she never would be. Not while Noah's death remained unavenged, not while she was still guilty of the crimes that resulted in his execution. Not while she was held hostage by the last look on his face before he took his last breath. 

All her life, she had been indebted to various people, first those who 'took her in', then those she worked for and now the police. After this, she was walking away answering to no one, being owned by no one, but most importantly ensuring that those who took her beating heart away would suffer as much as she had these past 8 months.  Even if it meant she would have to give up her life for that cause. 

After all, Noah already given up his. 

                                                                                    ***

"Agent Klaus, I want you to hear what your words sound like to me, and then ask me again if I'm overreacting." Messiah started, barely holding onto his patience. It was hard to believe that three months ago his life was operating like a well-oiled machine

 and now...

 "-You want me to trust a known con artist who has evaded the cops countless of times with my company that is worth multiple of millions?" Messiah stressfully rubbed his forehead, willing the migraine away. Loosening his silk maroon tie, he paced the space behind his desk. 

"Mr Nkosi, we have intel that these people are old associates of Ms-" Special Agent Klaus had started, when he was disrupted by Messiahs disbelieving scoff.

"So these are her friends, remind why you cannot just ask her to show you where they are and arrest them?" He asked, pointing out the obvious.

The Agent sighed, as if trying to find the patience to deal with him, "It is not that easy, they technically have not committed a crime-"

That was the wrong thing to say.

"Not committed a crime?" He spluttered incredulously, "Those people are the reason my security company is down 10% in stock! And you guys want me to invite the criminal into my company?"