• twenty three •

Days went by. And then weeks. Time was meaningless to me without Austin. I blamed myself for having feelings for him. Maybe if I just shut my fucking mouth and let Austin get over the phase he was in when he thought he liked me more than a friend, we wouldn't be here. I'd be able to see him. Ashli wouldn't see me as a threat, as if I even am one.

It was raining which described my mood perfectly. I laid in my bed, listening to the rain hit the big window that was behind me. I grabbed my phone from my nightstand and scrolled through Twitter, and then Facebook, and then Instagram.

Liked by postmalone, iamhalsey, and 60,739 others ashcollins Pregnancy equals looking like this constantly and feeling okay about it

ashcollins Pregnancy equals looking like this constantly and feeling okay about it. Can't wait to meet my lil one. 💙💗
username1 So ready to find out what it is!
iamhalsey congrats again sweet grl 💕
username2 omgomgomgomg!!!
postmalone You are still beautiful.😍
44 minutes ago

I instantly felt sick. Seeing Austin's comment made me sick.

 Liked by blaire

Liked by blaire.rhodes, giakellar, and 5,037 others
fuckingbrooke just let me hold you like a hostage.
blaire.rhodes the most comfy bed in the world.
username1 Billie Eilish!!! Yes!!
fuckingbrooke @blaire.rhodes facts sister.
wherearetheavocados ayyyyy.
fuckingbrooke @wherearetheavocados i stan you holy shit
37 minutes ago

I posted a picture just because I wanted Austin to see it and for me to be on his mind for at least half a second. I know I could just text him but I wasn't wanted by him right now. I decided to hook up my phone to my speaker in my room and listen to music while I wrote small notes like I usually do. I wouldn't really call them poems but I guess that's what they are.

Ocean Eyes by Billie Eilish was the first song I picked. I was really in that kind of mood.

"I've been watching you for some time, can't stop staring at those ocean eyes," I sang along as I pulled out my notebook. "Burning cities in napalm skies. Fifteen flares inside those ocean eyes."

your name is
the strongest
positive and negative
connotation in any language
it either lights me up
or leaves me aching for days

As I finished writing, I gripped the necklace I wouldn't take off. Tears fell onto the paper and I laughed. How perfect.

I was lonely. Absolutely alone. I know I have my family but I hate troubling them with my problems. I know exactly what I need.

A dog.

Yes, very spontaneous. But if I was going to live alone, might as well have a friend with me. I got up and got dressed, grabbing my keys and purse from beside the door. I got in my car and drove to the nearest animal shelter.

I didn't think about anything before coming. Not the price, not the responsibility, nothing. I've always wanted a dog, I just never actually went through with it.

When I walked in the doors, tons of people were looking for their new pets. Some were looking for big dogs, some small. Some looking for cats. All I knew was that I wanted a puppy. I walked through the room and seen everyone looking in the cubes the dogs were in. Everyone was surrounding a pug that had a huge personality. I smiled and walked further, looking at each dog. Until I noticed one cube not getting any attention. I looked in it and seen a golden retriever puppy. She didn't look the happiest and maybe that's why no one was paying her any attention. Maybe everyone was looking for a family dog with a big personality. But I liked her.

"Excuse me?" I stopped a worker. He looked at me. "Could I hold her?"

"Sure!" He said, picking her up out of the cube and handing her to me. "Are you looking to adopt or just here for fun?"

"I'm looking to adopt," I said, holding the dog. She started licking my face and I laughed. "She is so cute!"

"Do you have a family?" He asked me. I shook my head. "I think she'd be perfect then. She is very shy. You and her would be perfect friends I think."

"I think so, too," I smiled, still holding her. I knew right away that I wanted her. She was precious.

"Are you sure, though? We have a lot more dogs to look at," He suggested.

"No," I shook my head and then smiled at the dog. "I want her."

Liked by blaire

Liked by blaire.rhodes, postmalone, and 8,933 others
fuckingbrooke meet my new lil lady! her name is nala. 🦁💛
blaire.rhodes NO FUCKING WAYYYY
fuckingbrooke @blaire.rhodes come by and see her 😍😍😍
username1 oH MY GOSH! too stinking cute.
username2 Almost as cute as you!!
21 minutes ago

As soon as we got in my car, Nala started acting happier than she was in the shelter. I was so grateful. I made sure she was comfortable and then looked at her.

"We need to go get you some things, don't we sweet girl?" I asked her in a cheerful tone. She barked and I laughed. I took off and headed to PetSmart.

When I parked, I checked my phone. I seen a text from Austin in my notifications. My heart beat out of my chest as I slid over to open it.

austin: You and I have always talked about getting a dog together. Why do you do this when we get in a fight? Why?
brooke: you have not talked to me in weeks, you asshole. do you actually think i'd go get a dog to spite you? im fucking alone austin. i needed this dog.
austin: Ok Brooke. You don't have to be alone. You choose to be. Your pride makes you.
brooke: i haven't heard from you in forever and this is what you say to me? fuck off please. enjoy your perfect life.

I locked my phone and left it in the car as I picked up Nala and headed inside.