Chapter 3: I Don't Invest in a Million Dresses

"Carmen, get ready! We're going out tonight!" My father's voice filled my ears as I scrolled through my Tumblr news feed. After letting out an overly long groan, I sadly closed my computer and made my way over to my closet. Normally when Dad said 'get ready' he meant wear something other than jeans and sweat pants so you look presentable in public. It took me a while to decode the words, but eventually I got it. 

I pulled out a fitted black laced dress with long sleeves and pulled it on, happy that it still fit. I gave my hair a quick straighten and allowed it to fall over my shoulders. After putting on minimal amounts of make-up, I grabbed my black flats and made my way down the stairs. "Do you wear that every time I tell you that we're going out?" Dad chuckled, pulling me into a hug. 

"I'm sorry that I don't invest in a million dresses like your other daughter." I joked, poking his arm before pulling away and sitting at the table, knowing that Helen would take a good hour and a half. I played a few games of chess with Natela before Helen and Calum finally joined us. "I thought you were never going to come, our reservation is in fifteen minutes. Your mother is meeting us there." Dad told us, gesturing for us to get out of the house and into his car. 

We all made it to the restaurant in one piece (which was surprising with the speed of Dad's driving) and saw Mom waiting for us at the front door. "Hey precious." Dad whispered, kissing her cheek before grabbing her hand and directing all of us towards the main entrance. 

"Why are we doing this?" I whispered to Helen, knowing that the only time we went out for dinner was when it was someone's birthday or something else that was important was going.

"I don't know," She shrugged, "I just know that we're meeting grandma and grandpa here." She told me, bringing a grin to my face. I always loved seeing my grandparents. We were a very tight knit family. 

"Graylan Dorlan." Dad said to the hostess who was already gawking at him. I rolled my eyes and chuckled with Helen. We were used to Dad being stared at by girls; Mom however, wasn't. She was currently glaring at the lady with everything she had, and even stared daggers into the back of her head as she brought us to the table. 

When we got there, I noticed Grandma and Grandpa sitting and talking, and took my seat on one side of them. After we all piled in, I noticed that the table was set for one more, and was instantly curious as to who it was. "Are we expecting someone?" I asked right before my own question was answered as Archer pulled off his coat, handing it to the hostess before making his way over to us. 

"Archer!" Calum cheered, pulling him into a 'bro hug' as soon as he got to the table. "What brings you here?" He asked, clearly as confused as Helen. 

"He's one of my interns at the hospital." Grandpa said, gesturing for him to sit next to me. I felt my stomach tighten, and he eyed me carefully before nodding and taking his seat. "My little Carmen is quite the academic genius herself." Grandpa beamed, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and yanking me against him tightly. 

"Oh really?" Archer said, amusement behind his words, "How many grades did you skip?" He smirked, his eyes obviously testing me. I turned and snarled at him, giving him my best 'angry' face.

"I don't have to skip grades to be smart." I spat, making sure that each word hit him. 

"Well if you didn't skip grades you clearly can't be compared to me." He challenged. 

"Well I wouldn't want to be compared to you!" I shouted, getting everyone at the table to give me a shocked expression along with everyone else in the entire restaurant. 

"And why is that?" He asked, clearly enjoying my outburst.

"Because." I yelled, standing up and slamming my hands against the table, "I would never want to be remotely like an inconsiderate, low-life, jerk who doesn't even deserve to sit at this table!" I screamed before storming passed him and towards the exit of the restaurant. Once I got outside, I inhaled a deep breath of fresh air, and the stupidity of what I just did hit me like a brick wall.