Tabii 1

TWO SUMMERS AGO

"Haaaaayyy Neillll." Tabii with an i is chasing Neil for the thousandth time.

"Oh, Tabii," he says sarcastically.

"Why did you say it like that? Neil, honestly, what the fack do I have to do to get you to like me?"

"I have a few things. Stop following me. Stop talking like that. Apologize to Nikki for almost killing her during the play. Then, maybe, I might consider liking you."

🌻🌼🌻🌼🌻🌼🌻🌼🌻🌼🌻🌼🌻🌼🌻

I walk to the bus stop. It's the only bus that heads there. I don't want to be late. I was kicked out of Flower Scout last summer. Good riddance though. I never really realized what bitches they can be. I really do have to apologize to Nikki for running her out. That really is traumatizing.

I sit at the bench and start polishing my nails. My yellow skirt complimented my plaid yellow vest jacket. My suitcase sat next to the bench I was on. I started thinking of all my homework from school. I might be able to finish it today. High school fucking sucks. So much homework even during break. Thankfully I can complete it at Camp Campbell. "Hey." Nikki walks up to the bench. "What's your name?" I forgot. I haven't seen her in the longest. I stopped hanging around a lot of people.

I got a mechanical eye that helps me see. I also let my hair grow out. I dont tie it up any more, except for ponytails. It was down to my waist now. "Um... it's been a long time Nikki. How have you been?"

"You know me so I trust that you aren't a stalker, but no bells are ring up here." She taps her head. "Mind reminding me."

I use my Flower Scouts accent. "Remember me. Tabii with two i's." She gasps so loud I swear the neighborhood heard it. She sits next to me.

"When I didn't see you next to your usual squad I knew something was up. Are you okay? That send out is very traumatizing." She shivers.

"Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry for that. When we did it to you. I understand now. We need to do something about it. Look at this." I lift the back of my shirt. I point to a little scar caused from a flying pair of daisy scissors.

"Wow. You got lucky. It got lodged in my leg. Made it harder to run." We laugh at the stupidity of it all. I'm surprised she's accepting me after so long.

"Nikki," I start. She looks at me with a huge smile.

"Yeah?"

"Why are you talking to me like nothing happened? I was so mean to you. If anything you should be slapping me."

"Well, I not that kind of person. I honestly think you've changed. I mean your look definitely has. The others may not see it that way at first, but you can definitely change their minds."

"Thanks. I haven't had a friend in two years."

"How far did your influence spread?"

"Us flower scouts used to go on the same school. We were the 'three divas.' But ever since I left them the other girls started to bully me. It got so bad that I had to transfer schools." I can hear the bus in the distance. We both turn and wait for it to arrive.

"Oh good. I didn't miss the bus."

"Hey Neil." Neil waves at Nikki. I just stare in awe. His hair was pretty much the same. His clothes though and the way he walked had changed. His walk was more of a sexy jock strut and his black jacket and glasses added to the whole costume. The only reason. I tap Nikki on the shoulder.

"Can I talk to you in private for a bit?" She nods. We move out of Neil's ear range.

"What's up?"

"Neil. That's what's up. I mean, yeah, he's definitely taller, but I mean look at him." He had a gray Letterman jacket that, even though it was too big, looked nice on him. His blue jeans weren't really loose, but they also weren't too tight. He looked perfect.

"Everyone at our school calls him the hot nerd. It's crazy."

"I would too. What do I say? What if I mess up again? What if he still doesn't like how I act still?

"Just be you. I mean the real you. Not the fake flower scout."

"Okay." I take a deep breath. "I'm ready." I walk back over to the bench as the bus pulls up.

"Come on. Get in, you slow bastards." Max was in the bus already. "David told me to come down and greet you guys." We all wave at him. "Hey, do I know you from somewhere?"

"Yeah, you do, but I'm different now."

"Yeah, um, not in the mood right now. Just get in the bus and we'll talk." I chuckle. He hasn't changed much. Once everyone is in the bus Quartermaster, who is surprisingly still alive, drives back up the hill. "So you said I know you," Max says once he's settled.

I nod. He just sits there examining me over. He nods a couple times. I feel a little weird with him staring at me like that. I think I started to blush a little. "Are you done?"

"Oh, I was done a long time ago. I just wanted to see how long it would take for you to feel uncomfortable." He snickers. The bus has finally made to the camp. "So, Tabii, how long's it been?"

I turn to see a wide-eyed Neil. I do a little wave over to him and turn back to my conversation. "About two years." He nods.

"Wow. It's been long. You know I knew something was missing with that group, but it felt kind of right too." The doors open and we all file out.

"Welcome back to Camp Campbell kids." We are greeted by a less than enthusiastic Gwen. She expresses an actual emotion of surprise when she sees me. "Oh, you're new. Well, hi. Welcome to the shithole known as Camp Campbell."

"I know how much of a shithole it is. I'm not new technically." Gwen squints her eyes.

"I don't see it."

"It's me, Tabii."

"Code pink. Flower Scout infiltration. I knew this day would come." All the other campers pop up out of nowhere with slingshots and waterguns. Nikki steps in front of me. "Nikki, what are you doing?"

"She's not with the Flower Scouts any more." They all hold there weapons downs. I feel a hand on my shoulder. It's Neil.

"What happened? If you don't mind me asking." He's scratching the back of his head trying not to be awkward.

"It's fine. I started acting smart I guess. They didn't like how much I had changed and threw me out. Both literally and figuratively." Everyone was chattering amongst themselves.

"Well, I'm glad you're okay," an enthusiastic David says running in. "Now let's do something exciting. We still have to get everyone their tent buddy." Everyone groans and starts heading to the cafeteria. I'm just laughing.

"Hey now. Don't die of laughter," Max says. He winks at me before following the others. Nikki jumps up to my side.

"This is gonna be a mess. I can tell already." I agree with her. Neil walks past us a little awkwardly. He glances back for a second, but turns back as quickly as possible. His lifts the collar up to his neck and puts his head down. Nikki and I chuckle. What have I gotten myself into?