Chapter 24

Saturday morning, Laura was busy making salads, chili, and desserts. Clint wasn't going to be home until noon, so she had time to advance some of the cooking. She took out five plates, cups, and plastic ware. She also took out a bowl to put Nathaniel's baby food in. She set it on the counter so that Cooper and Lila could set the table just as soon as Clint sets up the table in the yard.

Right at noon, she heard Clint call out, "Honey, I'm home!"

"I'm in the kitchen!" Laura let him know.

She heard the thunder of footsteps on the stairs. "Daddy!" Lila shouted.

Clint swooped her in his arms. "Hey, Sweetheart! Have you been helping out Mommy?"

"Yes. I helped her make a salad and a pie."

"You did? I'll have to try that."

Cooper entered the room with Nathaniel at that moment. "Hi, Dad! How was work?"

"Hi, Buddy! Work was as boring as usual." Clint gave him a side hug and a kiss on his head. "Now, how's my little champ?" He put Lila down in order to hold Nathaniel. Nathaniel started to gurgle and had a wide smile when Clint held him. Clint made his way into the kitchen. "Hi, Honey."

Laura was moving around since she was still cooking and baking. "Hi, I'm glad you're here. Can you set up the table in the yard so that the kids can set the table?"

"Yes, I will, but not before you give me a kiss." He made her stop and pulled her in for a kiss.

Laura moaned into the kiss. When they pulled away, she said, "That was nice."

"We can continue later," he whispered in her ear.

Laura nodded. "The table, Clint," she said.

"Right." He took out the folding table and set it up in the backyard. "Cooper, Lila! You can set the table now!"

As obedient as they were, they came out and set the table while Clint took out the grill and all his grilling utensils. Cooper and Lila finished before Clint was done, and they went inside to help with Nathaniel. Once Clint was done setting up his grill, he went inside to make sure they had enough hamburgers and hotdogs. He took out the hamburgers and ribs so that they could begin to thaw. He went outside to make sure they had enough plates and chairs. They had enough chairs, but they were missing a plate. He went back inside to get it. "Honey, I think you miscounted the plates," he said as he was searching for them.

Laura looked up from her chopping. "No, Dear, I didn't."

"We're six, and there are only five plates."

"Six? I think you're counting Nathaniel." Laura laughed and continued chopping. "He gets his own bowl."

Clint was confused. "Wait, did you invite someone, Laura?"

Laura turned around again. "Did you?"

"Yes, I did. I thought I told you," Clint frowned.

"No, you didn't tell me anything, Dear. Who did you invite?"

"Steve and Livy," Clint casually replied while Laura gasped. The gasp caught Clint's attention. "Who did you invite?"

"I shouldn't tell you because it's supposed to be a surprise, but I guess if we're going to sort this out, I'd better tell you. I invited Nat."

"Tell me you didn't," Clint begged.

"I did. Surprise?"

"We don't even need Wanda telling us what to do because we do it ourselves. I don't even know if Steve knows Nat knows us and vice versa," Clint began panicking.