Prologue: This is Just the Beginning

It was a very hot and sunny day in Las Vegas, Nevada. Beautiful, if you're used to the hundred-degree weather. The scene we come upon is the quiet table of five seventh graders, all girls. Three of the girls are all playing their instruments. The other two, well, let's just say they're chatting. The five girls were having what seemed to be a normal lunch. This was an everyday routine for them, something the young ladies were used to by now.

The girls' names were Katie, Mia, Paula, Casey, and Alyssa. Katie was nicknamed 'Paladin' because she had to wear scarfs everyday and looked like one. The Muslim religion required such things from the Arabian girl. Mia was a thin, Asian girl. Her bob-cut, black hair, swaying slightly as she plays her viola. Paula was a white-looking girl with dusty blonde hair. Casey was a bit of an athletic Asian girl with a similar haircut to Mia's, except her locks were longer. Alyssa had short, highlighted hair, bangs covering one eye. She was also Asian.

The loud cafeteria was filled with the chatter of children and of the dean making announcements, as well. It was so loud, in fact, that the people who weren't close to the door couldn't hear the first blood-curdling scream. The five girls mentioned before, were oblivious to it, but as the chatter died down, as people screamed and ran in, they were aware that something was happening. All was quiet as the kids looked to the open doors that led outside, waiting for something to happen. The tension continued to build until the first of them walked in.

Whatever it was, it looked fairly human, at first, but as it moaned it's pain, as you stared at it, you could see. It's slick skin, it's darting eyes, it's almost bald scalp. Oh yes, you could see... the blood foaming and oozing from its mouth. Anyone could see, it definitely wasn't human. It looked like something that one would only find in movies or video games.

Like a zombie, but not quite, it slowly walked towards the students, once again moaning. The students were completely terrified, staring at the thing.  Then, as if the situation wasn't bad enough, a scream echoed in the cafeteria. Everyone broke out into a frenzy and the slimy gross thing screeched and launched itself forward and grabbed the nearest student. The poor sixth grader in its clutches was scrawny and struggled against it. Unfortunately, she wouldn't make it.

More of the things came into the building, chasing after the students who were trying to get out. Screams of pain and agony could be heard throughout the building. In the midst of all of this, those five girls, that were mentioned before, and other magnet students, were being smart about this and grabbed the nearest people and ran to one of the many exits.

For the moment, one of the girls, Katie  would be counted upon because she lived closest to the school and they could bar up there for a while. The five girls ran, adrenaline pumping through each of their veins. At this time, if their lives depended on it, they could probably do anything, even run as fast as they ever had. They came into the halls almost immediately, it was crowded with people who were trying to escape, students and staff, alike.

Everyone rushed through the doors, not bothering to look back. Outside, the streets were much worse. Cars flipped over, many in accidents, fires in different areas, people trying to outrun the monstrous freaks. It was utter chaos, but, even so, the girls ran, being led by Katie.

Sprinting and ignoring her burning lungs, Paula, was trying her utmost best to keep up with the others. After a few minutes of the tortuous running, they made it to Katie's apartment. Luckily, for them, the apartments seemed empty, but the five kept their guard up as they made their way up the stairs to Katie's apartment. They walked inside the, surprisingly, big room quickly and locked the door. As soon as that was done, the group moved furniture to block the doors to the patio and the front door.

Casey, Mia, Alyssa, Katie, and Paula all sat down, the adrenaline slipping out of their systems. They all sat there silent for a while, trying to understand what was happening. They sat for hours trying to comprehend the situation at hand

"What... just happened?" Paula asked slowly. She looked up to her friends.

"Did that really happen?" Katie looked to Mia.

"Yes... it really did," Mia and Alyssa answered rather calmly.

"What are we going to do?" Casey asked quickly, slightly freaked out.

Just as exhaustion set in on the 7th graders, Paula uttered the first words that came to mind, "We'll just have... to hold out 'till Rachel..."

With that the group fell asleep, just starting the new days ahead.