Chapter 1.

You looked down at your watch and sighed with relief when you realized that it was almost five o'clock.

"Finally," you thought to yourself, heading towards the back of the store. You couldn't wait to get home.

You hated working at a department store — there was only so much perfume spraying and lipstick swatching that you could handle before you were counting down the minutes until you could leave. The relief only ever set in at five when you could clock out for the day; your customer-friendly persona disappearing once you walked out of the sparkling glass doors.

You took the bus home, running straight to the shower after your front door had closed behind you. As the shampoo bubbles cascaded down your shoulders, you were reminded of your next priority: you were starting a new class tonight.

You loved college, but some classes just never excited you. This particular class was one you had avoided until now, in your last semester before graduation.

Law Studies.

You were only taking it as an elective, just to score some extra GPA points before you graduated. But still, you weren't thrilled.

You didn't want to finish your shower, but you knew that you'd have to leave soon. You turned the water off and began getting ready for the evening, not looking forward to going to school tonight. Luckily, your apartment was just a couple blocks away from your university.

You took your time walking there, listening to music on the way and admiring the scenery around you. The sun was beginning to set, making the sky turn a mixture of purples and pinks. By the time you made it on campus, it was almost completely dark outside.

The school's cafe was calling your name. Maybe a coffee would make you feel a little better, and bring your energy levels up so you could actually focus in class. You ordered a cappuccino and sat near the door, sipping it as slowly as possible. You didn't even consider getting back up until you had only ten minutes before class started.

The walk there seemed to take forever, you never had a class in the law building before and you could feel yourself entering unfamiliar territory. Your anxiety only eased up when you got to the end of the hallway and came across a door with glossy black letters engraved in it.

D. Brando
Professor, Study of Law

Yep, that's the one. You took a deep breath, pulling the door open and stepping inside. Luckily, you weren't the only one having a hard time finding the class. The room was only half-full.

All the seats in the back row were taken, much to your dismay. Since the back was so crowded, you stayed in the front, setting your bag down on the last desk in the row. It was right in front of the professor's desk, but maybe you could actually pay attention if you were in the front.

The teacher wasn't there yet, giving you time to analyze your new surroundings. The walls were a light gray, littered with posters about government policies and legal terminology. Every window was closed and the dark curtains over them were drawn shut. Even the classroom lights were on their lowest setting, making the already dim room even darker.

More students entered the classroom as you looked around, trying to get a feel for what your professor would be like based on his decor. A plaque by the teacher's desk with the phrase "it's always time for wine" etched into it told you everything that you needed to know.

Well, almost everything.

There was only a minute to spare before class started when the door was gracefully pulled open. If you blinked, you would've missed him come in. He was strutting across the room before you could even register what he looked like, but once you got a good view of him, holy shit.