Triggered memories

The following morning was like any other, depressing and bitter with the continuous gunshots cracking into the air surrounding him.

Nevertheless, this particular morning was worse than most. The loss of god knows how many hours of sleep he would never be able to regain, were taking a major effect on his ability to cope.

First, he'd made a mess of the papers he was to do for the general, therefore resulting in having to spend an extra half hour placing back into order. Then out of pure frustration of having wasted valuable time, due to his lack of concentration he had to work on them with urgency, which surprise surprise didn't end well as he managed to smudge his writing so badly it would surely be deemed unreadable.

And now he was unable to order his pencils in a simple straight line.

Rubbing at the noticeable bags under his eyes, Kevin took this rare moment of silence to slam his head in his hands and attempt to pull together whatever was left of his will to live. However, his moment of solitude was not to last when the all too familiar mangled sheep noise came booming into the room, causing Darling to jolt upright as the door thrust open.

"What are you doing, Darling?" General Melchett questioned, narrowing his eyes at the captain suspiciously.

"I-I've just finished your paperwork sir," Darling stammered, hoping the generals questioning look would ease off a little.

"Mm," Melchett replied, his pondering tone creating a strange sensation within the captain's stomach. Though, it wasn't to be a long wait to find out why.

"So," the general began in a more cheery tone, "since your not busy Darling, I thought I would remind you of the celebration ceremony happening tonight."

Oh god, he'd totally forgotten about it!

If only it had stayed that way.

Besides, why anyone would want to celebrate the fact we had been at war for the past three years, in which thousands if not millions of men have been stupidly and pointlessly slaughtered, all because the urge for conflict and killing became too much of an effort not to do.

"Yes, wonderful sir," was all Darling could bring himself to say in response, not daring to express his true opinion out loud.

"Now, I have drawn up the list of everyone attending this evening and the requirements needed, however, there's one small problem."

Nothing good ever came from those words.

"What would that be sir?" Darling anxiously questioned, his eye twitching instantly afterwards.

"In my dazed rush to sort everything out I have forgotten to inform that splendid chap Blackadder and his subordinates George and the other one their invitation to the ceremony, so I shall need you Darling to telephone him immediately!" Melchett exclaimed.

Sometimes he swore the general did this on purpose.

"Uh, yes sir," Darling replied defeatedly, not that Melchett would have picked up on that.

"Jolly good then!" General Melchett shouted out, his roaring jolly tone giving the Captain a splitting headache.

"Well, get on with it man!" Melchett added when noticing Darling hadn't made a move to obey his orders, he then left the room with a dismissive wave.

As soon as he'd left, Darling thumped his head on the table, letting out a huge groan in the process, then cursing in pain seconds afterwards. Why? Why him? Why did it always have to be his job to endure the painful process of having to interact with the likes of Blackadder.