prologue

[Katy's point of view]

I smiled back at my almost two year old daughter. "I'm going to miss you," I managed to say. She smiled wider at me and nodded her head, her curly blonde locks shaking vigerously. I laughed and straightened out her shirt, which was bunched up around her torso. She wrapped her arms around my neck and I wrapped mine around her small body. "I love you Joie," I whispered before getting up to walk to my car. She grabbed my hand and looked at me with pleading eyes as if she wanted to say something but was trapped in her own head and I suppose she was since she didn't know how to talk yet. "You'll be okay," I reassured, kissing her nose. I let go of her hand and she watched as I backed out of the driveway and my car disapeared down the road.

~

"Where's Joie?" My uber estatic girlfriend asked, bouncing through the door of our small L.A. apartment. I looked up at her small 4'9" figure from the couch, my swollen eyes met her sparking ones and her smile dropped. I explained that is was better this way- she would have a much better life this way.

Bonnie offered to make some coffee and I watched her searching the cabinets and fridge. "Have you been food shopping since I left?" I shook my head, not having the energy to speak. "Please tell me you've eaten, babe," The redhead looked at me with pleading blue eyes but I quickly glanced away, locking my eyes on the floor.

I felt Bonnie's weight drop next to me. We were silent, like death, for a few moments. "I can't imagine what you're feeling or thinking, but it had to take a lot to make that decision. You have the best qualities, Katy. Although you are choosing to step out of Joie's life, you're still the most amazing mother and that little girl loves you with all her heart."