Chapter Two

Under water

There are moments where it feels like you're underwater. Moments where you fail a test that everyone passed or you say something embarrassing out loud.

My moments are when my dad and I are in the same area. Even if words aren't spoken I could feel pressure and the desire to have a conversation. Breaking the ice for us it like poking a glacier with a plastic fork. Each time it only made four little holes because of the four little words that are spoken.

I had finally came out of my from room after three more days of sleep and YouTube videos. I hadn't seen my dad in two weeks. Ma had said that it was because of the new job her got but I haven't spoke to him since he cheated on her past years.

I was in the kitchen preparing myself a lip-smacking sandwich. I was digging through the fridge for bread and pepper jack cheese when he came rushing down the stairs.

My dad was a six two giant and that was coming from a guy that was five eleven. He had green eyes that bright and piercing. He's hair was like mine fluffy and curly, but orderly at the same time. He had facial features that catch eyes from yard away.

I watch him zip around for a few things before noticing me standing in front of the fridge. He stared at me and I stared back. The water quickly started filling the room.

"Hey. . .dad." I greeted. I wanted our interactions to end there but he continued.

"Hey, Mil." He said straightening his tie and buttoning his cuflets. He was slower now and robotic.

Mil? Gosh, it's been awhile since I heard that name.

My dad cleared his throats and picked up his brief case. I sucked in my bottom lip and turned around. Maybe he'll see then that I don't want to talk to him.

"Hey, bud," he said. My breath hitched and I stopped putting ham on my bread. I turned around slightly signaling him I was listening.

"How are you like the new house?"

I bit my lip. "It's. . .good."

I turned back and continued to make my sandwich. The water was reaching our necks now.

My dad cleared his voice again.

"I know we haven't had a good relationship the last few years but-"

"Mark!" It was my mom.

She rushed down the stairs with a red tie in her hand. She grabbed my dad's shoulder and made him face her. She throw a small glance at me and smiled.

"So you're finally out of your room." She says as takes off his tie. "You enjoying the sunlight?"

The left side of my lips twitch. I took in a deep breath and picked up my newly made sandwich.

"Yeah, it still burns my skin though." I replied. Ma put the new tie around dad's neck and tied it. I tried to walk past him but Ma grabbed me by the ear and pulled me in close.

"If I forgave him, you can to." She whispered in my ear. Then kissed my cheek and patted it.

I rolled my eyes while rubbing my burning ear.