Chapter Four

Florence

If I was an animal I would be any animal that hates water. I would've said cats but not all cats hate water. Anyway I hated being in water. Being in a boat, swimming in a lake, or diving I could not do.

I wasn't scared of the water, I just hated going inside. I didn't hate it in the beginning though. I use to love the water. I would be the first one into the water in the summertime. That changed when I turned ten and I almost died from hypothermia. I jumped into the pool on a cool breeze day and when I came out I was shaking like weak branches in a storm. I was sick for two weeks after and vowed to never go into the water again.

Of course until now.

I was walking behind my mom to what she said was Florence's house. It was in front our street and walking distance. I tried to tell that I could get there myself, but she wasn't listening.

"I know you can walk yourself, but since you have a problem with meet new people—"

"Ma, I'm not twelve. I can handle myself around new people." I told her. My hands where shoved deep into the pockets of my shorts with my head down. I had made plan show Florence grandpa that I didn't want to be there with my body language. I prayed to God for it to work, because for the moment it was my only hope.

"Okay, but I didn't say that," she said. "So, shut up and let me walk you."

I groaned loudly and trudged on. When we got there the garage was open and a small ship was peeking out of it. It was red and white striped with a red hand print on it. S.S Cecelia was print across the haul of the boat.

"Mr. Stephens!" Ma called out. There was no reply.

Maybe he wasn't here today? God, are you real?

"Mr. Stephens," she shouted.

I rolled my eyes. "Ma, he's obviously not here. Let's go."

"No, he's here." Ma said adamantly.

"Mr. Stephens!"

"Yes! Yes! I'm here!" A voice shouted back. My hopes install sank.

Soon, an old African-American man came out from behind the house with Florence behind him. The old man wore navy blue overalls with giant glasses. He had a white mustache growing under his nose and small lick of hair curled on his forehead.

"Ah, Ms. Valdez!" He he waddled over faster with joy.

Ms.Valdez?

Ma laughed and shook hands with the old man. Florence was close behind him eyeing me suspiciously. When she saw me notice she looked away.

"How are you? How's the girls!" He asked happily.

She answered with a cheerful yes and made small talk. As the did that I continued to eye the boat next to us. It looked like a boat for recreational use but fishing nets and ice coolers sat near the mase.

"So, this is your son!" Mr. Stephens said. I look and see him walk past my mom and take my hand.

"How are you, son?" He was giving me the biggest grin I've ever seen in my life.