HOW DID JIN TURN INTO A BUTTERFLY? // INU, PROLOGUE & RUN CHOREOGRAPHY

July 29, 2016

HOW DID JIN TURN INTO A BUTTERFLY? // INU, PROLOGUE & RUN CHOREOGRAPHY

Jin put an end to his youth on his own by confronting his father’s authority, something all boys must do in order to become their own men according to the Freudian principle known as “the killing the father”. The father, of course, has to be killed metaphorically only and it’s exactly what happens in I NEED U with V.

The connection between Jin and V is emphasised on numerous occasions throughout the HYYH MVs and through the Run choreography as well. That’s because V is the part of Jin’s that sets things in motion, the rebellious side of him that confronted the father. 

By the seashore in I NEED U, V appears to be wondering beside scaffolding structures. Jin then glares at him with a thoughtful, anticipating look. Then in the Prologue, V appears on the verge of jumping from the diving plateforme at the pool site; he actually does at the end of the MV, jumping from the pontoon into the wide ocean while Butterfly plays in the background, adding some meaning to the scene (he enters adulthood). Both times, Jin keeps watching and recording him silently, meanwhile the boys tell him to get down. Jin does not interfere because Jin, as the main entity, knows what’s about to happen.

In the Japanese version of I NEED U, both Jin and V are therefore singled out with the same black hat (a reference to the black hoodies used in the Korean version of the MV to symbolise adulthood).

INU, Japanese ver. (black hat motif)

In their dance narrative for the Japanese version of Run, V walks towards Jin, touches him and suddenly, all the boys move forward at once in the same direction: Jin’s youth has ended when he rebelled and symbolically “killed the father”, then subsequently gained the ability to exert control independently over his own life. Because the boys play different parts of Jin’s Psyche, once he touches him, V ends youth for all of them (there are noticeably no graffitis in the background, a symbol of youth, during that scene).

Run Japanese ver., narrative dance

The choreography ends with a butterfly depiction, each member being part of a main entity; there are noticeably graffitis, symbolic of youth, in the background of that last scene, hinting that youth a state of mind that doesn’t have to end once into adulthood. This will later be reaffirmed in Forever Young and Fire.

So, what do you think?

Read also:

About Jin: The Butterfly, Neverland & Psyche themesDo they or don’t they (die)?SugaKookie Theory (It totally Happened)

_____

Full credits to:
https://thebangtantheory.wordpress.com