Chapter Fifteen

It took a long 45 seconds for them to push the doctor through the door. The doctor was shoved to the floor, leaving two men standing there. I hit the charge to the door, which caused the last man in to release the door and it shut hard. His partnered Hushed him. I took that moment to fire the first needle and reload. The first one hit and the pepper gas flowed and choked up the doctor and the first guy. Guns started firing blindly, so I fired the next dart, and missed. The clip was empty, so I did by instinct, picked up the o2 tank and swung it into the goon's head. He went down and so did I. I seen the nurse come running and Andrew was right on her heels. Andrew zip tied both bad guys to a wheelchair and I went to stand up, as the world spun again.

I woke up in the X-ray machine. I could hear the tech and a doctor talking about surgery and Andrew saying something about getting me to a different location where no one knew I where I was.

"He can't go to the Rockies. He needs surgery now and stay in a lower elevation. I have a friend whose clinic has an over night and we can do the surgery here, then ground transport him there until other arrangements can be made." The doctor said as he signed paperwork to get the surgery started.

"Well get him fixed and so we can get him moved to a secure location." Andrew said as he looked towards me. I waved.

"How about a military base?" the x-ray tech added.

"That's a good ideal. I will make a few phone calls." Andrew said as he walked over. "Hey hero. You almost punctured a lung. However you did cut the muscle around the lung. So surgery is needed to repair the rip." as he grabbed my hand. "Don't worry. I have things under control."

"Fine. I am done for a while. Give me a desk." I said but that was the last thing I remember before waking up again.

As I look at the surroundings, a military nurse walks in. "You are finally awake. Looks like you are finally out from under the medical induced coma that they had you in. So you have been here for two days. Your stitches are scheduled to be out in two days, and the surgery was good. The bleeding was stopped and some shrapnel was pulled out of your ear." She said as she took my blood pressure.

"Where is Andrew? I need an update on what's going on?" I said as I moved to sit up. I was very stiff and wanted up and out of bed.

"Easy soldier. He will be back very soon. The major will be by within the hour and he would love to update you on the rest of your medical condition." she said as she check my vitals and helped me to the chair. All tubes were removed and I was allowed to wash up with her careful eye to make sure I did not pull any stitches or staples. I sat quietly while I waited for Andrew or the major, whoever comes through the door first.

It was an hour of getting information and verifying some of the long listed meds that I had taken while in the military. Finally the doctor walk in. "You seem to be mobile now. Welcome to North Carolina. We redid some of the stitches, we did a full exam and fixed a few things that were missed. Now you will recover better. Any questions?" the major added as he sat down across from me.

"When do I get out and where is Andrew?" I asked as I leaned back.

"Well, we will release you in about two days. Andrew will be back after his briefing is done. They found out that your issue was a joint operation with a couple of bad guys." the major said as he looked over my stats. "We kept you out to level you out naturally. I think that was our best option. This calmed down the blood pressure and balanced out the other issues that was caused by over activity on new stitches. I understand that you took out two armed men."

"Yes. It was necessary to keep people safe and live through the event." I said as I closed my eyes.

"Well we need to debrief you and give you a chance to get out the entire story all at once and not with a two bit town sheriff. We have a recorder and a quiet room for reports to be done in." the major add as I opened my eyes.

"Security is not why I got mad at the sheriff and his office. Making me the criminal and not deferring to the FBI for a terroristic attack on home soil, I think make my top two on the list of are you stupid." I said as I looked the major in the eyes. "I also think things just dog piled me and got me in a sour mood. He did not help. I got a little stress. on of being threaten with jail time for an attack on me and destruction of my home while I was fishing and heading back to deal with the problems that they caused."

"That is true. A threat on top of a threat is a bit extreme. So your home is gone, you were attacked, then accused of being the bad guy. Attacked again and then put in a coma with medication so you could heal a couple of days." the major said as he signed off on my chart.

At that point, Andrew walked in. I was never so glad to see my supervisor in all my life. This all started on a Friday and it was currently Saturday of week after my trip to the campsite.

"Son are you alright?" came out of Andrew's mouth.

"I am fine. I am just ready to be updated. I want to make sure all the kids are fine and that my jeep is alright." I said as I looked up at him.

"Well the house is gone. The truck is totaled. We have arrested eight guys and one lady. It seems that maybe two different hits were put out on you. Your friends are fine and are doing well. Each wrote their report and received pay as well as the rebuild was started on the motel. You have a settlement from the last hospital and that was put directly into your bank account. They really do not want you to speak out about the issue you had with the services or protection that they provided. Your report is turned in and the team said to call if you need anything. I have you a new home overlooking a bay on the east coast. Closer to the main office, but still a distance away and allowing you the freedom you need. Small town, not as big as your hometown but small enough." Andrew said as he leaned against the wall. 

"This is it." I chuckled. "I quit." 

Andrew smiled and said, "No way in hell you could even try to leave this job. You like it way to much." He sighed before finishing his statement. "I'll see you, you know. After recovery."

Book two continue in one week.  Thanks for reading. Don't forget to vote and follow to keep up with Dan