Chapter Two: Pandemonium's own hell mixer

My mother got sick when I was 16. We went to the doctor to check if she had the flu and they found cancer all along her spine. She was at stage two in the cancer process. My mom shouldn't be alive after four years but she is hanging in there. Her treatment costs abut 2,160 dollars a year. I have to pay 180 dollars a month to keep her alive and it is worth it.

She was so excited when I was accepted to South Hampton University on an academic scholarship. I quickly enrolled her in the oncology program. Luckily, my mom qualified and was put in the advanced trials. There was progress and she was getting better for a short period of time. Then program lost some money and we had to start paying for treatment. The cost increased year by year, and I took it as my responsibility to get a job. Not only to pay for her medical treatment, but the bills, and everyday items.

I dialed her number into my cracked iPhone 3. I know it's old but I have other things I could buy.

"Nessa!" Her voice rung out, sending a wave of reassurance throughout my body.

"Hey mom. How is it going?" I asked as I set down my car keys on the kitchen table.

"Good, good. I got a new nurse, his name is Harry and he always brings me pink tulips. Oh, and he brings these little fudge brownies that taste amazing. Next time you visit I will send you home with a batch and the recipe." She laughed, I could feel the smile stretching on her face.

I balanced the phone on my shoulder and ear as I picked up a black wrapped package with a big purple ribbon, "That's great! I will stop by this Friday and bring those delicious grilled three cheese sandwiches I make."

My hand tugged at the ribbon and it came loose.

"Please! At what time, dear? I want to look the best for you." She said, weighing her options.

I pulled a silver tag off of the ribbon and scanned its contents. Ms. Clarke, I hope you enjoy this gift, it read. My hand shook as I remembered the job I had just gotten yesterday evening. "I will be there by 1:00, I have a job I need to be at by 7:30." I said, tearing some of the wrapping.

"Okey Dokey! See you then and congrats on the new job, Nessa. You will do great!" Mom shrieked in excitement.

"'Kay, bye Mom."I said smiling and stepping away from the package.

"Bye, honey!" She hung up.

I set the phone down on the kitchen counter. I usually call my mom twice a week and visit once. I really loved visiting her because it relieved me to see her okay.

This morning I had woken up around 6:15 to the sound of the postman ringing my doorbell. The delivery people woke up early here, what can I say. I had stumbled down the carpeted stairs with my hair in an unruly mess to get to the door in time to thank the postman. Rather than seeing a postman, I saw little miss pole-up-my-arse herself. Passion was getting inside of her nice BMW convertable. She glanced up just in time to see me in my tight yoga shorts, large JUST DO IT T-shirt, and green froggy slippers. Of course I was wearing my huge glasses with my hair in the sloppiest bun ever. Passion smirked and slid into her leather seated car and sped off screaming, "Nice place, Clarke."

I then grumbled and took my package inside. Just being my stubborn self, I didn't open it till now, two hours later. I first wanted to pick up a bagel from Uni Bagels, the bagels of the future, after I dressed myself in a comfy wool oversized sweater that went down to mid thigh and cute patterned leggings.

My attention turned to my package once again. I really wanted to open it but I was forcing myself to wait until I got completely ready for the day. I currently had a no makeup face and my hair still in that gross bun from earlier. I left the package on the table and ran up the stairs to my master suit bathroom. Inside was a large jacuzzi tub, twin sinks, and a jetted shower. So my apartment had a kitchen, den/living room, guest room with guest bath, master suit with master bath, and a cute rustic balcony. If your wondering how I can afford this, my dad bought it for me as a 'good job getting a scholarship, Vanessa!' gift.