5

"What do you mean she's your fiancé?!" Mary nearly screamed her head off.

Their father looked flustered. "I mean exactly what I said. We're about to be married, dear. Calm down and let me explain everything-"

As he was talking, bells rang inside Mary's head. And not the good kind. She felt her whole body trembling as she couldn't seat anymore. She stood up quietly.

"Is this a joke? Some type of game you guys are trying to play with me?? Better stop now 'cus it's not funny."

Mr Adekoya looked embarrassed by his daughter's outburst. "No, baby. Seat down. What is the matter with you?"

"Calm down a bit. It's just-" Salome started saying but she cut her off.

"Calm down? Don't tell me to calm down. And I bet you knew all about this, didn't you?"

"Of course I did, but daddy deserves to be happy. He deserves happiness-"

"Fuck happiness!!" Mary was livid now. Tears streamed from both sides of her eyes. "Ever since mommy died, you've been searching for ways to replace her. She hasn't even been gone up to a year. A YEAR, DAD!! You bring in a gold digger. This useless slut-"

"Silence," Mr Adekoya roared. Everywhere fell silent immediately. "Now I understand how you may feel, but you have no right to insult my wife-to-be. And you don't have to act like such a spoilt brat about it. I'm doing this for all of you to be happy. To give you a mother figure. To heal the place where you lost your mother. When did you become this unreasonable, spoilt brat?"

Mary was shocked. Her father hadn't shouted at her or used any form of insults on her in years. She was lost for words.

Grace, from her place at the dining table sniffled and held Mr Adekoya's arm. "Please don't shout at her, dear. She's just a girl-"

Mary felt her temperature rising. "Shut up. You are not and will never be a part of this family. I know about ladies like you. You just want to eat our father's money. You don't love him."

She glanced at her brother and sister. "Aren't you guys against this too? Am I the only one?"

Joshua looked down. Salome sighed tiredly.

"Mary please go to your room," Mr Adekoya said quietly but firmly.

Mary felt like sick. "Dad??" She looked at her father with a pained expression. Tears ran down her face.

"Please. I can't deal with you right now."

At that moment, she felt immense hatred for everyone in her family. Especially toward her brother and sister, who both did not support her.

"Fuck you, dad!" She said and ran upstairs weeping.

In her room, she collapsed on the bed, sobbing slowly.

***
At that same moment, Kelvin was facing his own case at home.

"I knew it. You good-for-nothing son of a bitch," His step-father, Mr Omogbeyin said loudly. His own mother stared intently at him.

They were in the living room. His mother and stepfather were sitting on the two-seater couch opposite him and he was standing in front of them.

"I swear, I didn't do it, Mom. They are trying to set me up," He defended, ignoring his step father. His mother looked skeptic but she didn't speak.

"Don't tell us that miserable lie. I knew you've always been up to no good. I bet you took those stuff and sold them. Didn't you?" His step father asked. Kelvin looked fed up. He ignored him again. "Mommy, you have to believe me, please. I may be facing a possible expulsion here. For a crime I did not commit."

His mother rubbed her head. "I don't know what to believe."

Kelvin was exasperated. "Will you at least come to my school tomorrow? The principal says he has to see a parent."

His mother looked weary. She drew out a cigarette from under her skirt and lit it up. His step father smiled at him through big yellow teeth.

"What did you use the money to do? Play poker? Score some girls? Buy pot?" The man chuckled.

"No, I'm not a pot head like you," Kelvin retorted. He was frustrated and angry.

"So you got laid, huh?" The man laughed again. "You're a piece of shit, just like your late father was."

His mother just sat there, saying nothing.

"He was a better man than you'll ever dream to be," Kelvin fired back.

Mr Omogbeyin tried to get up and strike him but he was already drunk. He staggered backwards and fell to the ground.

Kelvin shook his head and left the house.

"Where are you going?" His mother asked, huffing her cigarette drowsily.

"Away from all of you," He muttered and shut the door. Outside, the cold night wind caressed his face. He felt hot tears burn at the back of his eyes. He just started running. Anywhere was better than home at that moment.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

So chapter five over, chapter six coming up next. Please keep reading to know what happens. I love you all, thanks. And don't forget to vote, comment and share. ♥♥♥