Chapter 1

Piper's P.O.V

I wake up and open my eyes. At least I think I open my eyes. Blackness surrounds me so I focus on my other senses. The thick smell of rusting metal hangs in the air, and I hear shallow breathing on either side of me.
"Hello? Who's there? Where are we?" A voice; a boys voice, filled with unease, comes from my left. I am about to speak up when I hear another voice, high pitched and dripping with sarcasm.
"Sherlock Holmes." I can hear her eyes rolling in the tone of her voice. "Of course I don't know where we are. I'm Toria. Who are you?"
"Thomas. Anybody else here?" Shyly, I speak up.
"I'm Piper." My voice betrays me and cracks, showing my nervousness.
I hear Thomas and Toria stirring on each side of me.
"It feels like we're in some kind of metal box..." Thomas' voice echoes from across the box.
With a sudden jolt and metallic screeching, the box begins to move upwards.
"Make that an elevator." Toria slumps down beside me again and Thomas does the same.
<><><>
About an hour has passed when there is a change. The box jolts to a stop, waking Toria who had fallen asleep on my shoulder.
Above us, the square opens up, leaving light streaming in. I cover my eyes and try to adjust.
When I finally remove my hand I see three boys gawking down at us. I hear snipits of sentences, such as 'girls' 'three' 'shanks'. I ignore the strange word.
Ropes are tossed down into the box. I look up an down the rope and the see that there is a loop at the bottom.
I put my foot in the loop and grab on tight. Toria, from behind me, grabs the back of my shirt and pulls me off.
"What are you doing? They could be serial killers." I consider the possibilities, but there aren't many.
"Either die a quick and painless death or starve down here, I say, stepping back on.
Thomas does the same and for the first time, I can see him. He is tall, with brown hair and eyes. He smiles at me and Toria, pouting, also steps on her rope.
The three boys pull us up in unison. My foot catches on the edge of the elevator and I stumble.
"Are you okay?" I push myself away from the boy who had caught me. It's  even more embarrassing that he is attractive. He pushes his long, messy, blonde hair out of his eyes.
"I'm fine." I blush. "Thanks for catching me."
His dark eyes meet mine and he gives me an award winning smile. "No problem."
The boy who had pulled Thomas out of the box speaks first. "Names?"
Thomas speaks first, then Toria, and I, shyly and quietly recite my name last.
"Everybody get back to work, except you, Newt." The boys gaze never leaves us.
"This is your new home. I'm Alby, this is Newt. Don't go asking any questions. You'll have a tour tomorrow."
With this, he stalks away, leaving us with Newt.
He smiles. "Welcome to the Glade."