Chapter 5

(Author's Note: Okay so, the previous chapter was Toria's P.O.V, but I hadn't worked everything out in the beginning so for things to work the way they should I need to have two chapters in a row be Toria's P.O.V. Okay thanks guys.)

Toria's P.O.V

"Toria...Toria?" My eyes flutter open. Piper stands above me, shaking my shoulder. I sit up.

"Hey. You feeling any better?" She groans and holds up a bucket.

"I can never un-see that." I roll my eyes and look around. The Homestead is empty except for me, Piper, and a distracted Thomas.

"Hey, Tom." He lifts a hand, though it seems like a chore for him to do so. "Where is everybody? Alby? Minho?" I raise my eyebrows and smirk at Piper. What about Newt?"

She rolls her eyes. "Alby and Minho are in the maze looking at the dead Greiver and Newt is working." I push on.

"I guess you do need a man to bring home the bacon." She stands up and holds her hand out to me.

"Speaking of bacon..." I grab her hand and she pulls me up. I grab Thomas' hand and all three of us walk arm-in-arm to Frypan's kitchen.
I consider, and push Piper away from me. She raises her eyebrows at me.
"I'm not gonna let you puke on me and make me look like even more of a wreck than I am now."
We reach the kitchen and Piper immediately sits down, not bothering to grab any food.
I on the other hand, am starving. I walk up to the counter and see plain toast with berries on the side.
I give Frypan a pouty face and twirl my hair in my fingers.
He plops a few chocolate chips on and I smile brightly at him. Score!!
Thomas also grabs a plate of boring plain toast, his charm doesn't work on Frypan. We sit down by Piper and she looks at us warily.
"What do we have to do today? We always have to do something." I put my head in my hands and stare down at the table top.
"We have to try out tons of stupid jobs just to make other shanks' lives easier." She laughs and raises her eyebrows at me, shaking her head.
"You don't sound so happy about that." I nudge her and start to eat my breakfast. Thomas and Piper chatter quietly and I zone out until I feel Thomas tapping on my shoulder.
"Let's go. Time to do tons of weird jobs." I push off the table and go to the door, ready for an uneventful day.
<><><>
After hours of stupid, and may I add quite disturbing (thanks Slicers) jobs Thomas, Piper, and I try to find Newt hoping he'll give us something fun to do.
We find him pacing in front of a door to the maze. Thomas moves in front of him and puts his hands out to stop Newt's frustrated pacing.
"Newt? Why are you freaking out?" Newt's face reddens and he angrily shoves Thomas' arms off of his own.
"What's bloody wrong? What's wrong is that some of my best friends are stuck out in the shuckin' maze and the doors are about to close." Thomas steps away nervously and Piper steps towards Newt to reassure him.
She sets a hand on his shoulder and whispers something into his ear. He nods and she slides her hand away.
Just then, we hear screaming. Minho's voice. He's running towards the door slowly, a limp Alby slumped weakly onto his shoulder. Over the screaming, comes the grinding of stone.
"No!" I shout helplessly. Thomas darts for the maze and I run as well. We slip into the maze just as the doors close.
"What are you doing?" Minho's eyes blaze with anger, and, I notice, tears fill them. "You shanks just entered a suicide mission. Nobody survives a night in the maze."
Thomas' face fills wit determination. "We can. And we will." Minho shakes his head, doubtfully.
"If we want even a 1% chance we gotta split up." He looks at us grimly and lets Alby slip to the ground. "And we gotta leave him."
Thomas hesitates, but Minho runs away quickly, and I do the same. I turn several corners and run around hopelessly, until I hear a metallic clicking sound.
I turn around and see a Greiver, it's destination right at me. It starts to roll and I dodge to the side, letting it crash into the wall. I run to my left unsure of my destination.
I turn back to see if the Greiver is on my tail but then realize I've run into one. Literally run into it.
I start to scream then feel a warm hand cover my mouth. Not a Greiver, Minho.
He grabs my hand and we silently sneak through the corridors of the maze. A sharp intake of breath comes from Minho so I look ahead, seeing two Greivers. Behind us, the other has caught up.
"We have to climb." I nod and Minho and I climb the vines up the walls of the maze. But the Greivers do too.
Minho looks to me and once again, I nod. We have to jump. I let go of the vines and barrel to the ground, shattering my ankle.
I yelp in pain and try to stand up, but can't. It's as if someone is digging a white hot knife into my leg.
Minho runs towards me and picks me up like a baby, jogging towards our only escape.
I sob helplessly into his shirt. Deep breath in. He smells of fresh-cut-grass, a little sweat of course, and something else that is entirely Minho.
A tear falls into my forehead from his eye he looks down at me as my vision begins to fade into black.
"Please, be okay."