chapter two

The next day was unbearable for me, let alone the hundreds of kids who auditioned and wanted to find out their roles. I couldn't walk through the halls for a second without hearing the name "Shane Dawson" said at least once. Everyone was obsessed.

I couldn't see why. I, too was eager to see the cast list just so I would know who I would be seeing everyday and working with backstage, but I was, in no way, obsessed.

To me, Shane Dawson was just an asshole that I just wanted to avoid at all costs. I didn't want to get involved in his drama or end up as another one of his prey. Looking at him just angered me.

-

Soon enough, it was eighth period creative writing, my last period of the day. It was the most enjoyable class for me because Drew was in it, along with a few other of my tech crew friends.

Today, we had a substitute who didn't seem to care much, so it felt like more of a study hall. She just said, "sit wherever and do whatever," so everyone just sort-of nodded along and did exactly that.

Drew and I sat in the back of the room on our computers. Sighing, I told him about the events that happened after school.

"Yeah..." I started. "Shane Dawson and Garrett Watts walked past me yesterday and then Shane told me he knew me from somewhere."

"That's weird," Drew stated. "Usually, he only pretends to be people's friends during the whole show blocking process, and then he snaps. Maybe he's trying to change his ways."

"It's not gonna work," I replied. "If he wants me to kiss up to him, it's not gonna happen."

"Well, we both know that if Shane gets this lead role, we're gonna have to deal with him every single day. The supporting role only comes every few days."

I sighed. "Jesus."

The end of the day neared closer, and Drew and I spent the few minutes we had left talking about youtubers or whatnot. The second the bell rang, everyone was out of their seats and booking out out of the classroom. I followed close behind, quickly throwing my backpack over my shoulder and rushing out of the room.

-

I was surprised to be the first one outside of the auditorium. Once I approached, I saw the familiar green sheet of paper with a list of names on the front. Clenching my teeth, I read it.

CARRIE: THE MUSICAL CAST

LEADS:

CARRIE WHITE- CARRIE HOPE FLETCHER
SUE SNELL- MOLLY JENKINS
TOMMY ROSS- SHANE DAWSON
CHRIS HARGENSEN- TRISHA PAYTAS
BILLY- GARRETT WATTS

That was all I could read before the crowd of people pushed me out of the way. I wasn't as surprised as I expected I would be, just a little annoyed that the tech crew had to deal with Shane's snappiness and drama every single day for the next three months.

Putting my earbuds in, I rushed outside and soon felt the warm Los Angeles sun kissing my terribly pale skin. Harry Style's 'Carolina' played softly into my ears as I began to walk home.

As I was passing the school, I heard screaming from the alleyway separating the gym from the classrooms. Furrowing my eyebrows in confusion, I pulled an earbud out to listen.

"Don't you ever fucking do that again, you fucking dickhead!" I heard a familiar voice yell. The sound of punches echoed throughout the alleyway, making me cringe. I neared closer, only to find Shane Dawson putting one of the jocks in a headlock while Garrett Watts punched another. I hid behind a bush, watching the events unfold.