forty-two

Brynn's POV:

I folded the rest of the laundry before I heard the doorbell ring. I walked down the stairs before opening the door and was greeted by my brother and parents. Ryan waved and walked in while my parents just stood there.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked slowly.

My mother scoffed. My dad looked at my mother disappointedly and spoke up.

"Our little girl is engaged. We wanted to come congratulate you in person." My father said.

I nodded and heard a car door close behind them. I walked out from behind them and greeted Alec in the driveway. He smiled at me and gave me a peck on the lips before looking at my parents.

"I didn't know they were coming." He said in my ear.

"Neither did I." I replied back.

We got back to my parents and they just stared at Alec. My mother eyed Alec up and down before speaking up.

"So you're Alec? The Alec that is supposedly marrying my daughter?" She said snootily.

He chuckled. "Supposedly yeah."

I stifled a laugh at his response and let him pass me to go inside. My dad followed behind, leaving my mom and I outside in silence for about ten minutes.

"So this is what you've been doing?" She asked curiously.

I scoffed. "Mom please. I'm happy. Why can't you see that?"

She sighed and walked past me into the house. I followed her in and closed the door behind me. I went back up stairs and was met with Alec throwing on another shirt. His hair was wet from the quick shower he took and he ran a towel over it.

"You're mother seems nice." He said with a laugh.

"Haha. Very funny." I replied back sarcastically.

He laughed again and wrapped his arms around my waist. "They will have to come around at some point. You're their only daughter. They don't want to miss your wedding. They don't want to miss the chance to walk you down the aisle."

I stopped him. "Ryan has been the best brother ever. He can walk me down the aisle."

He smiled and shook his head. "That spot is technically for the father but if you insist."

I kissed his cheek. "Are you sure about this? My mom, she's ruthless."

He nodded. "I'm marrying their daughter. I expect her to be ruthless."

I smiled and shook my head. I pulled him out of the bedroom and down the stairs into the kitchen. I pulled out a new bottle of wine and poured a glass. I handed it to my mother as she took a sip and continued to stare at Alec as he picked up Elle and spun her around. I shot my mom a glare and she just rolled her eyes.

"So Alec, how long have you been playing hockey?" She asked.

He smiled at her question. "Pretty much my whole life. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else."

Elle giggled as he kissed the top of her head. I smiled and laughed at her.

"Elle seems to like you. She usually doesn't take to people very fast." My mom said with a shrug.

I scoffed. "That's a lie and you know it. Elle has always warmed up to people. She's just like me."

My mom murmured under her breathe to where only I could hear her. "Maybe that's the problem."

I sighed and rubbed my forehead before walking to the back door. I opened it and let Hank in. He barreled around the corner of the house, body completely soaked from jumping in and out of the pool. He ran through the kitchen before stopping and shaking off the excess water. He prayed nearly everyone in the kitchen. My mom screeched. My dad swore and Alec and Elle laughed hysterically at each other. I grabbed Hank's collar and brought him upstairs. I closed my bedroom door and came back down to see my dad laughing with Alec as they talked about something. I walked into the guest bedroom downstairs to see my mom sight seeing.

"This place is alright, I guess. I couldn't see myself living in it." She said nonchalantly.

I rolled my eyes. "So why did you all of a sudden show up now that I'm engaged?"

She laughed. "To throw you the perfect wedding of course."

I shook my head. "No its to throw yourself the perfect wedding that you never had. I'm planning my own wedding the way my fiancée and I want to plan it."

She sighed. "You don't know the good wedding planners and churches and chapels like I do-"

I interrupted her. "Mom I don't care. I'll let you help us. But any idea you come up with has to run by me first."

She scoffed. "Oh please."

"It's either that or you don't get invited." I replied.

She gasped. "You can't do that to us. We're your parents."

"I said you. I never said Dad. So is that a deal?" I held out my hand as I spoke.

She sighed and mumbled while shaking my hand. "I guess."