10 - Family

I hide behind the bleachers next to Derek with my hands buried in my jacket. Too much is going on today. All I want is a nap. Isaac and Erica talked to Derek and they have a new plan. Once school ended, Isaac handed me over to Derek, who was accompanied by Boyd. I feel like a little girl being forced to move between her divorced parents. Since I'm not a full werewolf, I've noticed that everyone has become way too protective over me ever since I woke up. Isaac doesn't want me to get hurt and Derek doesn't know how much I can handle. 

   Erica and Isaac went after Lydia, while I was left to be babysat by Derek and Boyd. Scott must have known that Boyd was here because I saw him storming across the lacrosse field to him a few seconds ago.

   Derek nudges me forward and we walk over to Boyd and Scott. We reach the two of them to see Boyd on the ground and Scott on his two feet. Boyd isn't small. How did he knock him down? "She failed the test."

   Scott whirls around to see Derek and momentarily frowns when he sees me standing by Derek. "Yeah, which doesn't prove anything. Lydia's different."

    "I know," Derek agrees with him. "At night she turns into a homicidal walking snake."

   I step in the space between Derek and Boyd. They are both within arms' reach, but I don't want to be a part of whatever they may do. I'd like to believe that Lydia isn't the kanima, I really would. She failed the test. If she had fallen on the floor, paralyzed from the neck down then none of this would be an issue. Derek would go back to the subway to figure out who the kanima is. It didn't go that way, though. The kanima has been killing people, innocent people. Derek's right when he says he needs to kill it. 

    "I'm not going to let you kill her." Scott stands up for his friend.

   Derek smirks at the words, sharing a look with Boyd. The two smile at each other. "Who said I was gonna do it?"

   A confused expression flashes on Scott's face. He doesn't get it. Honestly, it's not that hard to figure out. The three of us are here and that means two of us are missing; Erica and Isaac. I don't like the idea of Isaac killing anyone. He's never been that kind of person. Scott continues to think it over and realization dawns on his face when his eyes land on me. His head jerks to the direction of the school. Before Scott can even make the slightest move, Boyd slams his arm in to his chest. 

   I quietly gasp when Scott lands on the ground hard on his back. After being abused for years,  I always knew that violence was never the answer. "Was that necessary?"

   "Yes." Boyd backs away from Scott a few feet. 

   "I don't know why you think you have to protect everyone now, Scott, but even so, Lydia has killed people and she's gonna do it again, and next time, it's gonna be one of us." Derek gets to the truth of the whole situation. 

     Scott writhes in pain on the ground. "What if you're wrong?"

   "She was bitten by an Alpha. It's her." 

   Scott leans up on his elbows. "You saw that thing up close. You know it's not like us." 

   "But it is! We're all shapeshifters. You don't know what you're dealing with. It happens rarely and it happens for a reason."

   His words echo in my head. I'm not a shapeshifter. I can't change in to a werewolf. Derek did say that the kanima probably doesn't know what it is. I was out for  a week. I remember nothing. What if I wasn't really asleep? What if when no one was around, I snuck out? What if I killed people?

   "Chloe?" Boyd grabs my shoulder, worriedly. 

   I struggle to catch a breath. "Am I the kanima?"