Prologue

“Where have you been all day?” I ask my dad from the couch with folded arms as he stepped inside the house, closing the door and hanging up his coat.

“Out.” He replies simply taking his shoes off and jumped on the couch next to me. “What're we watching?”

I'm watching Supernatural. Dean just met Cas and I can't wait to see his reaction when Cas confesses his love for him later on.” I giggle to myself with my eyes fixated on the screen hanging on the wall.

“That actually happens?” My dad raises his eyebrows at the TV in surprise. As much as I want to say yes, I shake my head.

“Pfft, no, but I wish.” I huff out and slouch further into the cushions, wrapping myself up in a fuzzy blanket.

“That's gay, Danny.” He chuckles.

I smirk at him and roll my eyes. “I know I am.”

Before I knew it, it was nearly midnight as my dad carried me up the stairs into my bedroom. I was too sleepy to object the gesture so I just let him carry me. I heard him kick the door open with his foot and lay me down gently on my bed. “Goodnight, son.” He whispers, kissing my forehead and silently walking out of my room.

I fall asleep with a faint smile on my face.

*

I flinch awake to the sound of breaking glass somewhere downstairs. My eyes are pierced open as the adrenaline courses through my veins. Without turning my head, I shift my eyes a little to the right to glance at the time.

3:47 am

I swallow thickly and swing my legs around the side of my bed and tip toed over to my closet, quietly sliding the door open and retrieving the metal bat tucked between my dresser and the wall. With the bat gripped firmly in my left hand, I take a deep breath, opening the door slowly and poked my head out a little.

“Dad?” I whispered. I could see his door open down the hall with the lights turned on. With another quick glance to the stairway, I dart into his room. I push the door open a little more but stop shortly once I realize the room was empty.

I look to my right and notice the TV is still on with the news. I furrow my brows together and loosen my grip on the bat a little more, allowinr my hand to relax. What's he doing still awake at this hour?

I set the bat on the foot of my dad's bed and grab the remote on the bedside table, turning the volume up on the TV.

“...injured in tonight's breakout. We are still waiting for reports on the state of the victims.” Breakout? What breakout?

“Dad?” I call a little louder this time but still receive no answer. I keep my gaze focused on the TV and notice the news cast is right outside a hospital. I stand on my feet and rush over to the window, pulling the curtains back and revealing the same hospital only blocks away.

I hear shouting coming from the TV and crane my neck to get a glimpse, keeping my feet rooted in front of the window. “-coming! We have to-” The news reporter lady was cut off by the most horrifying explosion I have ever seen. The screen went blank as that same explosion outside was heard.

I look back out the window in horror as the hospital buses into flames, causing car alarms to blare out and hundreds of lives to those who must've been inside. I bring my hands up to cover my mouth, backing away slowly until my butt came in contact with the side of my dad's bed I let out a yelp and stumbled backwards, landing on the floor. I stood up quickly grabbing my bat and racing downstairs.

“Dad?!” Why the hell isn't he answering me? By now I'm shaking like a chihuahua, on the brink of pissing myself. Before I could reach the bottom of the steps, I hear another crash coming from the kitchen. That sounded like the microwave? (Don't ask me how I know.) I peak my head around the corner to find a man swinging his arms wildly across the counter.