Chapter Five

And we stroll out.

Me; still in my sweatpants and black tank top, my hoodie the only protection from the blistering cold rain. Serena tucked her arm neatly into mine and my heart swelled as I gazed down into those caramel eyes of hers. She smiled, her creamy pink lips shining beautifully up at me. I was in desperation to press my mouth against hers, just to feel her skin unite with mine as we kissed.

If only...

"There's a Starbucks just down there."

She points up to the glistening sign displaying her favourite store.

"Think I'm in the mood for hot chocolate to be honest, it's just too cold. Are you cold?"

I blink down as she huddles closer to my body warmth until it eventually enters my thick skull.

"Here."

"No, Danny it's fine."

"No please, I insist. Here."

She opens her mouth but slowly it closes, her teeth digging into her lower lip as I drape the soft fabric of my hoodie across her dainty shoulders. With this my heart swells.

"You look tiny in this." I whisper as I zip the oversized jacket over her skimpy hips. "There."

Her eyes sparkle up at me, so wild, so dangerously beautiful. My chest heaved as the emotions raved through my bloodstream, my fingers slowly stroked her upper arm as I leaned in. But I stop, despite my heart's intension to do so I know this isn't what she wants.

She doesn't want me...

"Hot chocolate then?" My whisper croaks unattractively against her as I try to compose myself.

My body heat rising as I try to avoid my emotions. And despite the coldness, I don't feel the icy raindrops at all. I feel overheated, sweaty even and yet I'm shivering.

Why could I possibly be shivering if I don't feel cold?

As we stop for the traffic to exit the busy roads, I ache to start walking again. I'm not sure if it's the tension of the silence between me and Serena or the fact that my head is spinning rapidly.

I can't breathe

I stumble back slightly, a sharp pain entering my chest.

"Danny?"

"I'm, I'm okay." I smile weakly as her hand tightens around my long, bony fingers "You're freezing."

"No...I'm hot, I'm too hot."

Her eyes grow bolder, so bright and powerful it seems to cause the pain to numb as I peer deeply into her iris'.

Kiss her...

"We're going home."

Hurdled up on the bed, Serena sits beside me. She softly pulls my head onto her small delicate shoulder. Though despite her worrying, her sigh of anxiety is my only concern.

"Are you okay?" I peak my head up to catch her expression, wide eyes staring into the distance, small frowning lines forming through her forehead.

What have I done...

"It's not me, you should be worried about." Her fearful reply enough to make me sit up.

"I'm fine." I hold her against me, despite her attempt to pull free.

"Maybe we should call a doctor?"

"But I'm fine honestly, I'm fine."

"No, you're ill."

I feel her hands around my face in protection.

I feel her eyes pull in every detail.

I feel her concern.

I feel her fear.

But I don't feel her love.

This isn't love, of course it isn't. How foolish of myself.

She's simply like this because I'm sick. That's all it is, that's all it will ever be.

"Danny?"

"I..." I gulp, my emotions stabbing hard against my lungs as I break free from her touch. "I need sleep."

"But Danny, I think-"

I refuse to listen I throw myself under the duvet, head stubbornly buried beneath the pillow. My heart aches, the sharp broken pieces stabbing away at my skin as I allow myself to suffer.

Her finger softly lace against my back before I hear her heavy sigh of defeat.

"Night Dan."

She stands at the doorway for a while before storming out, then she's gone. Again.

--

AUTHORS NOTE;

It's 12:42 and I'm exhausted but in a deep mood of writing.

Hope you guys like this one.

Love you all.

Vote. Comment.

Thank you for reading.

Chloe