chapter one

The sun rose far in the distance on the horizon, lighting up the lands to the kingdom of Auradon. The way the sun took over the darkness of night and shine bright into the sky. Clouds form from millions of stars, but then return to being nothing but water vapor all over again. All at once, the flowers begin to bloom underneath the morning dew to the scents of spring.

Across the courtyard, I watch the newly inducted Villain Kids march together. It was barely a month or so ago the children from the Isle of the Lost came to Auradon Prep. I've come to get to know them as every other kid that attends the prestigious academy, but the trust has not been fully extended yet.

Ophelia, daughter of the Greek god of thunder, bursts into our bedroom with a gleam of sparkle in her dark gray eyes. "Good morning Rose."

I turn from the window. "Morning Ophelia."

"You are not going to believe who I saw in the halls late last night." She quickly lets out.

"King Beast?" I question her excitement.

Ophelia shakes her head. "So, you know how I go to the dock every morning, right?"

I nod. Ophelia has this thing with hanging out by the Auradon dock for yoga, but to also catch the sunrise. She said it helps her feel closer to her father, Zeus.

"I saw Captain Hook's ship...and guess who was driving it?" Ophelia is such a story teller.

"Who?"

She jumps onto her blue sofa sitting on the other side of the room. "Harry. His son."

I stand in front of my vanity mirror and start to brush out my bed hair. "Okay? What's so important about him?" I've heard plenty of stories about Harry and the Jolly Rancher boat from his father, but it seems irrelevant to our daily life.

Ophelia starts to twiddle her thumbs. "I just know it took you a while to get used to the other villains kids being here. Harry is just a small surprise, after all."

I look at her through the mirror. "I'm sure he's just doing it to get on their nerves." I rise to my feet. "I'm going to be late for class."

On our way there, Ophelia catches many glances. Whether it be for her dark as thunder clouds hair or history of anger management, she is one of the rarest kinds of students to be attending Auradon Prep. Greek gods and fairytales do not quite exactly mix, but I did overhear a rumor about her uncle, Hades, being trapped on the Isle of the Lost.

Inside the classroom, the arrogant Chad Charming rolls his eyes and goes back to what he was doing.

On any other day, my heart would probably pound out of my chest just for him even looking at me. Although he is a jerk and completely stupid, I can't deny the feelings I've felt inside my heart since primary school. Ophelia thinks I'm ridiculous, and I'm sure everyone knows about Rapunzel's daughter having a crush on Cinderella's son, but a girl can dream.

Dreams are the hope we wish for, my mother once told me.

The professor must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, as he wouldn't let us choose our own partners for the given project. "Ophelia with Chad."

"What? Come on!" Ophelia cries out, sinking her head into her hands.Chad just glares at her sarcastically.

"Let it go, thunder bolt." He mimics.

Ophelia turns her head. "I swear to Zeus one of these days he's going to get what's coming to him." She seethes through her teeth.

As I start to wonder who my partner is going to be, the door opens. All eyes are facing toward the person that just walked in as Ophelia gaps.

"That's him!" She whispers.

"That's who?"

Ocean blue eyes connect with mine as the scent of salt water surrounds me. The pieces of my chest plummet to the pits of my stomach when I catch him smiling in my direction.

"Mister Hook. Nice of you to finally join us."

That's Harry? He doesn't seem to be as intimidating as my roommate made him out to be.

"Mhm." Harry grunts, finding an empty seat in the back of the classroom.

Ophelia's eyes widened with anticipation. "What the hell is he doing here?" She turns around to get a better look. "This has to be some kind of joke on those Villain Kids."

"With that, Rosemary and Harry together for the project!" The professor announces before handing out the project worksheet.

The emptiness in my stomach grows hollow as all my air escapes from my lungs. He has to be punishing me for something completely unprofessional.

I make myself focus on the paper rather than paying attention to the villain in the back of the classroom. Others are just as nervous with him being here, and all it does is make me wonder more what it is he is doing here. If his goal is to intimidate the villain students, why is he taking classes?

"Rosemary, right?" A voice speaks above my head, and when I look up, it's him. A dark red coat hanging on his shoulders with black belts strapped to the stitches, matching his black shirt and pants. The closer he becomes, the stronger the oceanic scent.

I nod. "Right. I am Rosemary." I clear my throat. How am I supposed to focus when he's this close to me?

This time, he clears his throat. "Didn't know this was stare at the VK class and not history."

My cheeks grow hot. This was going to be more difficult than I intended.

-

what do we think of this newly edited version?