Chapter Three: The Darkness

After the briefing was done, everyone left the room except for Steve and Kira. "Talking about all of that. It couldn't have been easy." He commented, crossing his arms and looking at her. Kira laughed before she looked at him. "What part of the job is easy, Captain?" She retorted. He chuckled. "Fair point. But still it helped all of us understand you both a little more, so it's appreciated."

"If we don't stop them then no one will. No one should have that much power." She said, leaning back against the wall and looked at him. "We just want to help people now, help as many as we can."

"That's what I wanted all those years ago. My best friend was in the army, I wanted to join too. I wanted to serve my country but at the time I was just this skinny kid from Brooklyn. So, when I was offered to help serve my country another way, I took it. It was...clearly...a success."

"But that's the difference. You made a choice to become what you are. We didn't. Our entire lives our parents would tell us we would do great things. After we were taken and she was tortured daily...I feared we would be trapped in the darkness. Sometimes I feel like I'm still there, in the darkness and I will never escape it."

He walked over and put a strong hand on her shoulder, looking at her with a serious expression. "You left the darkness when you got away and started to work against them. How did you escape anyway?" He asked curiously.

"That's just it, Captain, we don't know. One minute were tied to our beds...the next we were running like Hell. I don't know how we got away, I don't know why. I wish we did though." She said softly looking back at him. He dropped his hand and nodded. "Tell you what. We take them down and then we find out how you got out." Kira smiled softly and nodded. "I would really like that..."