19. Stowaways

The three of them had to make sure they were there when Rujar said his goodbyes or their plan would be ruined before it could begin. But they also had to make it down to the proper scout's caravan without getting caught and before it took off. The plan came down to that they were going to wait for Rujar to leave their quarters and then try to follow him as quiet as possible.

The night dragged on. Jet couldn't get much sleep. His heart raced with the plan they had discussed. The littlest mistake could cost them their only chance to aid the Kingdom.

The room darkened after a few hours. Heyvl crashed out. Jet wondered if he felt at ease after writing to his parents. Irina stirred in her bed, and Jet watched her roll over a few times in the darkness. Sometime during the night, he thought she was gone, but he knew his eyes were playing tricks on him.

Morning eventually came and Jet felt tired. He didn't sleep much with the excitement of what they were about to do. He rubbed his eyes as Rujar came in the room.

"Hope you all slept well," he announced as he closed the door behind him. He stood near the door unsure of how close to get. Irina stood by the window, slyly eyeing the caravans. She was just as tired as Jet was.

"Well enough," Heyvl chuckled. The Lonavian was the only one who managed to sleep well. He could see on Jet's and Irina's faces that they didn't.

"Good, good. Well...I came to say goodbye. It was actually rather fun traveling with you three. I don't know why you wouldn't be, but I really hope you all stay safe."

Jet felt bad after that. Rujar genuinely wanted them to stay in the Kingdom for their own protection, but they couldn't. They had to make sure the Kingdom had proper support sooner rather than later, especially if Lonava couldn't supply it. Jet tried his best to act as if he was following Rujar's wishes. "We will. You be safe too." He meant it as well. Even though Rujar was over the age that Jet felt the most comfortable around, he considered him a friend. He had saved their lives after all.

"Thanks. When the time is right, you all will be able to return home," Rujar stated as he started to turn his back to them. "I wish you all well." And with that, Rujar was gone. His parting was rather sad. Jet could sense Rujar probably considered them friends as well, even if their journey was short.

After Rujar closed the door behind him, Irina whispered, "Uh, I don't think we have time to follow Rujar."

"Why?" Jet asked. He and Heyvl moved over to the window. They saw that the scout was already preparing to leave. They wouldn't be able to make it out of the castle in time.

"What are we going to do now?" Heyvl asked.

Thoughts raced through Jet's mind. The only thing he could think of was his Element. "Do you both trust me?" he asked swiftly as he moved closer to the window. His hands began to glow in the pale green aura.

"Yeah of course," Heyvl immediately replied. Irina hesitated but then stated, "Sure."

"I think I could use my Element to get us from here to the ground safely."

"What?!" the other two exclaimed.

"I know, I know. It sounds crazy, but I er...had a dream where I could switch places with my Element."

"You want us to trust you based on a dream you had?" Irina asked carefully. She didn't sound completely dismissive of the idea. She even recalled him doing it to save her before.

Jet didn't want to tell them about the Spirit Plane. They would think he was crazy. "You have to trust me. I think I know what I'm doing."

Heyvl could tell that Jet was acting genuine. He knew that the Spirit Element held mysterious abilities, because it saved their lives already. "I trust you, Jet."