Chapter Four

After I splashed Ben, I dove back into the deep blue waters. The sky was dark and it was night time now so I easily swam at the top of the water with out being seen. I had good thoughts about Ben, but I still took caution and looked out for myself like Molla said. Every now and then I spotted a mer-person and asked for directions to the Great Barrier Reef. In no time, I arrived at my destination.

     As I looked around the reef, I could definitely tell that this place had indeed a very popular merfolk population.  Maybe I wouldn't need to live with Ben. Maybe I'd make it happy and just fine underwater here. This place was far more interesting than any human land!

     As I swam to the gates, I noticed that there was glass surrounding the reef. Only the gates weren't glass and they were silver. But why? To see predators or humans coming? So something could look in but not enter? What would want to look in? Humans possibly, but I thought they disliked merfolk. Had Ben lied to me yet again?

     "Excuse me?" I approached a guard. "Why is this glass?"

     "So that we may see predators coming. No surprise attacks. And also sometimes humans like to look in but we do not wish for them to enter." The guard had a deep hearty voice that chuckled and showed happiness.

     "That's a sign of weakness!" Niana would say. "Perhaps, they need a new guard." Oh how I missed her. I could almost hear her voice as if it were real.

     "But I though humans disliked our kind?" I replied confused. Ben said they disliked us. He said that was why he had to lie to other humans about me and other mermaids being costume when he took us to the beach to see the land.

     "Most do. Yes indeed. But a few here and there believe and like us. Or sometimes parents of children believe we are all here in costume for the children to see and enjoy like a... what do the humans call it? Ah... a tourist attraction." The guard explained.

     So Ben hadn't lied! When he said all humans he just meant most. "Oh!" I said "That explains it..."

***

                   A/N

Hey Guys! So I'm sorry this chapter was so short (and kinda boring I guess) but I was trying to get another one in before I leave for vacation and lose WiFi for awhile. Well... I'm leaving now so gotta go! Bye guys! Don't forget me. I'll only be gone for a week tops! And if I can I'll even try to update or write while I'm on vacation. I'll do my best, I promise! Bye.