Chapter 5

I forced the memory away. There was the overlord, looking almost proud of me. His signature mask was laying on the ground, if you could call it ground, in pieces.

"Thank you. It's been a while since I've been allowed to be myself."

"Wait, so the evil 'take over the known and unknown universe' you wasn't really you?"

"That was the power talking. My ability, it's unique, to say the least. There's me, and there's him."

He stepped on a shard of the mask, breaking it further apart.

"I do have a name."

"And it is?"

"Zander Pax."

Marcus looked shocked. I knew how he felt. I tackled him and pinned him down.

"You. You killed all those people in that explosion. You made so many families incomplete. You. Took. My. Normal. Life."

"But look how well you're doing!"

"Not the time."

"Mira, get of him."

"Why?"

"He's also Jason's uncle."

"Jason is one of you guys, right?"

"Mira, off. Now. Let him talk, it's not like you can hurt him here, anyway."

Zander rolled his eyes.

"Honestly, I only took on this partly solid form to give you some satisfaction. I'm not exactly living, anymore."

"So what are you?"

"An aura."

"I guess I'll find out what that means later."

"While gaining this form, I accidentally destroyed four city blocks. Sorry."

My hands fell through him. I got up.

"Sometimes, sorry doesn't cut it."

"I wasn't thinking clearly. I went to preform the ritual, and something went wrong. I never meant to do all that."

Marcus looked at me, and I knew I shouldn't respond.

"I still have something to tell you. I know how to save you."

"Go on."

"You need to be in the city by noon tomorrow."

"I can't move my hands. That may soon spread further."

"I can fix that, well, temporarily."

"How?"

"I'm going to lend you some of my power. I expect it back when we meet again."

A few sparks of energy floated over his fingers and then shot across to me. I felt better, and generally less worn out.

"I'll be going now, shouldn't keep you. Noon, tomorrow."

He reconsidered.

"Actually, a bit before. The ritual can only be done at high noon. That's the time when the most energy is in the air."

Marcus shifted.

"If it keeps her alive, we can do it."

"I said nothing about 'we'. Just her."

He vanished.

"I don't like this."

"Neither do I. That wasn't a natural personality, simply another mask hiding who he is. But, there's still a chance for me."

"It's a trap."

"I know, but I'm dying anyway."

"We're headed there anyway, may as well give it a try. If something goes wrong, I'll know."

"One last try."

"Yeah, you're toast."

"Don't remind me."

"So, let me go and put trusting psychopaths on the to do list, and we'll meet him when he wants."