- chapter five -

♛ jughead

"Almost ready, Betts?" I say loudly as I sit on her bed, waiting for her as she gets ready in her bathroom.

"Yup!" she calls back out.

Veronica told us to meet her and Archie at Pop's at 6 o'clock for our "double date". Normally, I would never agree to this but I'd do anything for Betty's sake.

I wear simple black jeans with a maroon cashmere sweater, assuming dates require clothes that are fancier than usual. I hadn't ever been on a date, frankly, I just wore this because Betty said I should dress up a bit.

I sit up straight as I hear the door fumbling. Once it opens, I'm in awe. Betty wears a light blue dress, the top half hugging her figure and the bottom flowing out until her mid thigh. She layers on a white cardigan over top and her hair is flowing freely over her shoulders. 

"Wow- ahem." I clear my throat as it feels dry. "You look great." I smile as I stand up.

She tucks a piece of hair behind her ear and grins, "Thanks, Jug."

I take a deep breath, leaving the tense moment. "Well, what exactly are my requirements for tonight?"

"Hey, don't make it sound like it's so horrible to be my boyfriend, first of all!" she chuckles and crosses her arms.

"No, of course not, sorry! I just mean what do I need to do."

"Just make it believable." she shrugs. "I don't know, just think 'if I was Betty's boyfriend how would I act'."

"Hmph, okay I'll try. If I fail you, don't come for me." I say as we leave her room. 

"As long as they believe it. They're pretty gullible anyways." she laughs as we walk down the stairs.

"Bye mom!" she says.

"Jughead, please have her back by 11."

"Will do, Mrs. Cooper." I smile.

"Bye you two."

Of course, we told Alice we were going on a date as well - a friendly date. Given Betty and I have been best friends for so long, she didn't mind. If it was anyone else though, Betty might as well still be in her pajamas.

Betty locks the door behind us and I continue down the stairs, standing by the passenger side of my truck.

"What's this?" she teases as she nears me.

"Don't boyfriends do this? Open the door for their girlfriend?"

"I guess? Well, thank you." she smiles as she steps into the truck. 

I close the door after she sits and I walk around, going to the drivers side. With that we drive off.

-

As we get out of the car, I notice Betty stare at Pop's nervously.

"Betts, you okay?" I ask.

"I don't know, it'll be weird actually seeing them together." she frowns looking down at her fumbling fingers.

"Hey," I put a hand on her shoulder, "Remember what you said. You're deserve a lot better than Archie, and tonight you can prove that, even if it's just with little ol' me." I chuckle.

"Don't be modest." she shakes her head before staring directly into my eyes. "There's no one better than you." 

My heart skips a beat, her green eyes piercing into me. 

I breathe in deeply before saying, "We're gonna walk in there and Archie is gonna see what he's missing out on. The most strong, caring, beautiful and amazing girl there is. And I'll be by your side the entire time, you can do it."