The Long Lost Cooney Family

I meet Oliver at the end of our street. We walk to the subway station together as we do every day.  Oliver keeps asking me questions, but I just simply nod or shake my head. I can't stop thinking about my father and what I'm going to say to him. 

In Mr. Walters' history class we are told over and over again that we can't procrastinate this project and we need to pick our topic soon and whatever. All the normal things that my teachers are constantly saying. 

At lunch, I suppose I'm still in a daze because Beth immediately asks me what's wrong. I tell her nothing is wrong. She gives me a look that says "I know something's wrong and you better tell me right now". I sigh and say, 

"You wouldn't understand, Beth" She looks extremely hurt. 

"And why is that?"

"It's about my family. I'm having some troubles." Beth looks even more hurt.

"Allana, where do you think my parents are when you come over?" Before I can say anything, she says, "You may think they're at work, but they're not. Sure they go to work for part of the day. Then they just go out with their friends and get drunk and high on pot. Every. Single. Night. You think that's easy for me? I have to take care of my brothers all by myself. What am I supposed to say to three nine year olds when Mom and Dad come home sloppily as hell!" 

"Beth I didn't mean that-" I've heard this story a million times.

"You know what Allana? I'm done with you always complaining about your life because you think it's so bad!" Then Beth storms away. Just as Oliver comes over with a tray of pizza. 

"What was that about?" He asks. 

"Nothing," I say back. I turn to where Beth sat down, next to some girls that talk about anime and have pastel pink hair. "Nothing at all."

                                                                               **************

After school I call my dad and ask him where he is. I say I want to talk about something. He says he is staying at a Marriott on the outskirts of New York. Of course he's about as far away as possible. I purposely take the wrong train. I don't want Oliver to ask me why I'm not getting off at our stop. I also don't want to see Beth. 

I do my homework on the train. Finally after about an hour on the train I get to the Marriott. I find my dad in his room. He is unshaven and hasn't showered since yesterday. Beer bottles are surrounding him. 

"Alllaaaannnaa," He says in a drowsy voice. "Whaaat's gooooinnng onnnnnn?"

"Dad," I storm over to him and take the bottle out of his hand. "I'm here for something serious. I need you to be serious."

"Whhaaaaat dooo yoooou meeeeaaaan? I'mmmm seriousssss."

"Fine," I give up trying. "I need to ask you about our family. I know that your mother, Allana Cooney, died here. I've seen the gravestone so don't try to hide it. I need to know why you haven't ever told me. I want to know who the Cooneys were. I want to know why the first Allana left Cabhan. I just want to know everything." Dad's eyes opened wide when I mentioned the Cooneys. He stopped talking in his drowsy voice. 

"OK Allana. I'll tell you what I know."