The Assignment

NEW YORK CITY: PRESENT DAY

"Allana Cooney, why don't you answer the next question?" I look up with a start.

"Um." I look down at the drawing I had been working on. It was of a mother holding a baby. I have always had a weird obsession with pictures of babies. "Can you repeat the question?" Everyone in class laughs. I should be used to it by now. Mr. Walters sighs.

"Why did Irish people immigrate to America?" Mr. Walters gives me the "I know you can't answer this" look. At least I know this one.

"Because of the potato famine. All the people were starving because the potatoes were inedible." My whole family is Irish so I've heard the story a million times.

"That's correct Ms. Cooney." Mr. Walters says sounding shocked. I'm not surprised. I'm never right. "How did you know that?"

"My dad's side of the family is 100% Irish so he's told me the story a million times."

"Interesting." Mr. Walters replies. "That brings me into our next project." The entire class groans. "For our next project you children must research your family's history and present it to the class. It will be due in two weeks..." The bell rings interrupting him. Everyone dashes out.

"So what were you drawing this time?" My friend Beth asks me.

"What makes you think I was drawing?" I ask. Beth pulls my sketchbook from my hand.

"Babies? Again? Allana, you have a problem."

"Shut up." I say pulling the book back. Beth is about to reply back when Mr. Walters yells at her for loitering in the halls. She apologizes and runs outside. I start to walk towards the subway when Oliver comes around the corner.

"HEY ALLANA WHATS UP!!" He screams. I point to his headphones. He sheepishly pulls them off. "Sorry."

"It's fine." I say back.

"So you excited for Halloween tomorrow?"

"Not really."

"Allana how can you not be exited? You, me and Beth are going as the three blind mice!" I shrug.

"Hey. I know what can boost your mood." I look at Oliver. "Graveyard party!" Every year Oliver tries to get Beth and I to go to a graveyard on Halloween eve. Too scared to go alone.

"Actually Oliver." I say. "I think that would be fun." Oliver looks puzzled as we start walking towards the subway. "I mean eventually we're going to have to go so why not tonight."

"You can't be serious! Finally! It'll be super scary!" We sit down. I nod and look out the window.