Challenge #4

The last bell rang and I bolted through the door. I was the first one out, running to the front gates of the prison, we called school. My bag swung wildly as I ran, my legs burning, my lungs begging for copious amounts of air. I didn't care. This was the freest I'd felt in too long.

The pain strengthened but that was the least of my worries. I was focused on the feelings churning inside me. I felt like I was flying, but it all came to a stop abruptly. I sighed as I reached the gates where Kai asked me to meet him.

I felt sweat drip down my forehead. I had just ran from the very back of my ginormous school to the front. I glanced upwards, Kai's green eyes sparkled with amusement as he studied me. "My, my." he chuckled,"Exactly how excited were you to see me?" he smirked, his eyes glittering with mischief.

I felt my cheeks burn, unsure if that was from the running or what Kai had said. "U-Uhm, n-no. I was, uhm," I stared at the ground, twiddling my thumbs,"I was excited to get out of that hell hole." I muttered quietly.

He pouted,"You weren't excited to see me?"

"Wha-?" My head shot up,"Of course I was!"

He smirked at my reaction and took my hand. "Well, come on. We're going somewhere." I ignored my pink cheeks and nodded. We walked to the parking lot, where we got into my car. Kai rode the bus to school, so his car was at home. "I'm driving!" He shouted goofily.

I rolled my eyes playfully,"You sure about that?" I held up the keys, the metal ring on my finger.

"Pwease?" he pouted after throwing his stuff in the back.

I hummed,"Fine." I smiled. He took the keys and got into the driver's seat. "Music?" I asked pulling out my phone to put on my playlist.

"Sure." He replied, pulling out of the parking lot. He drove onto the highway, speeding up to 80 mph.

"Slow down!" I gasped.

"No way, baby." He shot a wink as my cheeks turned pink and a song came on, blasting the car's speakers.

We drove for almost an hour until we reached a state park. He parked the car and handed me the keys. He grabbed a duffel bag before I locked the car. "So, we're here because...?"

"A picnic!" he smiled brightly.

Excitement ran through my veins,"Really? I've never had a picnic!"

"Yup!" He grinned and took my hand, forcing me into a run. We ran until we reached a secluded lake in the forest.

"How did you know this was here?" I asked in amazement, studying the ripples in the water as it lapped up, trying to catch my feet, but failed.

"I found it a while back." His cheeks tinted pink as he smiled up at me. "I've never brought anyone here, though."

"O-oh, really?" I sat down on the picnic blanket he set up.

"Yea." He whispered, sitting down next to me. I was leaning back, my legs out in front of me. I enjoyed the breeze as it gently played with my hair.

We sat in silence, just enjoying each other's presence. I glanced at him a couple times. His hair was light brown and messy, but it always looked nice somehow. His mesmerizing green eyes seemed to sparkle when he smiled, especially when he was doing something he loved.

"Stop!" Someone screamed. "Please!" the voice quivered, fear bursting through the words.

Kai and I shared a look, shooting up and searching for the source of the voice. Not far from our picnic spot, there was a small clearing, where we found one person with their hand on someone else's throat. The kid was pinned up against a tree, tears running down their face.

Kai was about to run up to the guy and punch him out of the way, but I beat him to it. Anger was all I could feel, it had taken over. I kneed the guy in the groin, not even sure how I had gotten to them so quickly.

He stumbled backwards, while the person he had pinned to the tree ran away. "Bitch!" He shouted, but I just gave him an overly sweet smile.

"Get going, asshole." I spat as he ran off. When I turned around, I found Kai comforting the kid he was bullying.

"Hey, what happened?" His voice was soft and caring, almost melodic.

"He-he attacked me b-b-because I'm t-t-trans." She stuttered out.

I ran up to them, the anger burning even more fiercly. "That-that-!" Kai placed a hand on my shoulder, calming me.

"There's nothing wrong with that." He smiled,"Those guys have no right to tell you what you can and can't be. Don't listen to them."

The girl broke out into a smile,"Thanks! My name's Mia."

I held out my hand for a handshake, but she tackled me in a hug. I laughed quietly,"Well, I'm Sophia."

"And I'm Kai." He helped us both up.

Challenge #4 Completed!
I learned that a lot of people are bullied for who they are, but I also learned that listening to other people won't get you anywhere. Don't listen to anyone except for yourself.

A/N This is a more personal question, do you believe in god?

Answer: Yes, passionately.