Chapter 17: Dragons

Dragons flew fast, that much was obvious with the short length of time that it took for them to appear over the castle. Their roars could be heard well before they came into sight. They all stepped outside the castle gates as the biggest dragon landed heavily in the snow before them. 

  Ygritte didn't know how to feel about the beast, she had never been this close to one and the teeth sure were big. She stayed where she was though, refused to even flinch. The dragon queen stepped down and just the sight of her made Ygritte's blood boil as she knew that she needed the bitches help.

  "Where are they?" the Targaryen asked striding forward.

  "Beyond the Wall somewhere. Hard to tell really," Ygritte snapped, earning her a glare.

  The queen turned then and headed back towards the dragon, that was when Ygritte decided that she was going to. Screw the fact that that meant being in close contact with the white haired cow, she was going to get her stubborn as husband out of the rut he had got himself stuck in. 

  "Well I'm coming with then," Ygritte called out, making after her before Davos grabbed her arm.

  "Fuck off or I will cut the rest of your fingers off," she growled, Davos quickly let go.

  Daenerys was staring at her but as soon as Ygritte drew level she turned again without a word. Ygritte watched the dragon anxiously as they drew closer but Daenerys just climbed up the scaly leg before reaching a hand down for her. Gritting her teeth, Ygritte grabbed the proffered and pulled herself up.

  Briefly she wondered why the queen hadn't questioned her or argued but then she remembered that she was on the back of a dragon and suddenly it didn't seem so important. Instead she just sat there stiffly and gripped the hard scales in front of her. 

  Suddenly the beast pushed off, the great wings either side of her pushing down and taking them up. The free woman just hoped that they found the party quickly because she'd already decided that she didn't like flying one bit.

***

  They saw the swarms of the Army of the Dead from high in the air where it was colder than ever. The dragons swooped in and Ygritte gripped the scales in her hands tighter until her knuckles where white and gritted her teeth. The queen in front of her uttered something in a strange language and all three dragons breathed out great roaring breaths of fire.

   The flames carved through the hordes of un-dead soldiers, great plumes of water splashing up into the air as the flames melted through the ice.

  Desperately, she craned her head around trying to look for her soulmate amid the chaos. Finally she spotted him amoungst the rest of the pitifully small group of living and felt a wave of relief wash through her. The free woman knew that he wasn't dead, she could feel Jon's jolting fear- potent through their bond- but he was all in one piece from what she could see.

  Eventually, the dragon the two women were on came around and landed. Daenerys reached down a hand for Jon who reached back up. Ygritte felt a stab of anger at the queen's bold move but their hands never met as Jon spun around to fight off dead men that charged at them.

  While the King in the North cut through dead men with Valyrian steel, the other climbed up onto the dragon. Ygritte itched to climb down and join him as more and more wights swarmed between Jon and the dragon.

  Daenerys' old knight climbed up then and called out to her soulmate but Jon could do nothing but keep fighting. That was when the dragon fell.

  One minute the two other dragons were flying around, destroying the army and then a blood curdling scream rang out. First fire and the blood, gallons of blood, streamed out from the dragon's side as it plummeted towards the ice. Everyone watched in silent horror as the beast crashed into the ice, sinking slowly into the freezing depths.