(01). The supermarket

Click on the star 🌟 below to vote for the chapter. Happy reading!

MY JOB at the cafe had always drained the best of the energy of me

MY JOB at the cafe had always drained the best of the energy of me. Although, I've tried to stay up with five coffee cups alternatively.

It's not easy to sneak a spare minute in 'the' Patricia's, which is till now in the number one rank of the city's Hottest Cafe Queen's! No doubt, the salary is quite fat seemingly with the number of people flowing in each day. Situated in the buzz of the city, Patricia's have always been the showbiz and had been erected as same for fifteen years!

But seriously, job at Patricia's? Totally pathetic. You gotta hop in at 7 in the morning, put all the stuff to cook, brew and bake, serve and dwindle your ass out and huff! Get exhausted! All because of the Niagara Falls like customers who pop in and out everyday.

Who am I even kidding?

Before this pathetic job, I was one of their regular customers along with my mother. Their Strawberry topped Pancakes with nutella smothered all over was in my regular diet.

Yumm!

But alas, I have to serve most of them now, to those cute little onesy girls who come with their pink little boots clattering on the gateway of our counter. Complaints aside, I actually feel quite nostalgic and happy when I see those angelic faces decorated with nutella, remembering of my own childhood. Most of all, I remember my mother, how hard she tried to bring me up to this size, status and how she gave me this life...

Though, I haven't actually lived it in years, or so as it seems forever. My childhood had been messy, but I always had this supernatural power as I feel, to bother not the issues. My dad was a really dangerous alcoholic and that child and wife beater. My mom, yeah she remained strong throughout and decided to live apart taking me with her. My dad and her, both seemed happy with the decision, without being divorced. I was around eight years that time and.. All that mattered to me was seeing them happy so I too didn't have any problem. Yet, it pained somehow, deep inside, to know that I had a fatherless childhood.

It's a pleasant Monday evening. The sun is in the middle of setting, looking like a semicircle among the bossom of the city skyscrapers and it's like, only 5 in the evening. Damn, I just got out from the cafe, ending my Monday shift there! Since it was the starting of the week, customers were relatively less yet huge. It was usual for the customers to order just the Monday special as its hectic for everyone today. Not much work but a bit of a sweat.

Thinking about all those people I saw at the cafe today, I took my turn at the similar suburban fork I visit thrice every week.

Reasons for visiting the "Martin's Mart" every three days a week is that, (1) the supermarket is the nearest from my house, (2) Martin gives me extra 15% discount on everything I purchase because of our year old friendship and, (3) they always have something new in their store on their 'secret stash' corner which is more like an adventure for me.

There is always something brand new on that particular shelf; may it be sweet, or spicy or totally like gummy feet. It's fun! For me!

I'm a 21, living alone for nearly four years, in a well suited apartment. My mother, after I completed my studies, went away back to her maternal home, acknowledging the fact that Granma is very ill. No one to see her so, you can get my point. She believed in me so she was confident that I could live. I was afraid too, at first, but eventually I was physically living alone. But my soul, damn, it felt like it never lived. I had been starving.

That small 8 year old Lily! I could see her, sitting on the soil, dirtying her clothes with mud and drawing her family, scribbling on the mud with scratches of twigs. How happy she seemed, mud blotted on her cheeks! But suddenly, the twig dropped from her hands, with the terrifying scream of her mother!

Please, please Adam I beg you!

Her beautiful mom, Anne, shouting for mercy from her father's drunken assaulting fit.

I shuddered.

The familiar blue and white signboard was lit up with twinkling yellow fairy lights. 'Martin's Mart' it read. I stepped into the store, the fresh smell of polythene and the cleanser hitting my nostrils.

Two steps, and there's Martin winking at me. Four steps further to the right section and there's ol' Merida smiling her sugar sweet smile from the accountants table. Some more steps and like that, in the next twenty minutes, I ventured the mart, buying two bottles of orange squash only.

My heart stirred up inside for a nanosecond. I was now going up to the 'Secret stash' section to find out the mystery item in my shopping list!

What???

As I approached the turn, I found this miserable scene....

Bottles of "Strawberry Saga" emptied and the unique pink fluid spilled on to the floor pathetically. I gasped audibly, and heard a soft chuckle. Looking up, my breathing hitched!

A/N : Hey readers! How was the first chapter? Leave a genuine comment about this chapter and also tap onthe vote button if you liked it

A/N : Hey readers!
How was the first chapter?
Leave a genuine comment about
this chapter and also tap on
the vote button if you liked it.

With lots of love and ice-cream,
Abhilasha (Abby)