2. Lockdown

Chapter Two Lockdown

            Frantically, Mr. Kidd sprinted to the classroom door and locked it. Following this, he took a large piece of black construction paper and taped it over the glass screen on the front door. Having practiced drills like this one before, the students began to crowd behind Mr. Kidd’s desk. However, panicked whispers accompanied their movement.

            Once the teacher finished securing the room and turning off the lights, he joined his students behind the desk.

            “Mr. Kidd, do you know what’s going on?” asked a nerd in the classroom, who looked like he was ready to excrete every fluid known to man.

            Solemnly, Mr. Kidd shook his head. However, Principal McLeod’s voice answered the student’s question.

            “This lockdown was implemented to protect our staff and students from Influenza Z, a virulent disease that has been plaguing the world. Z Flu has reached our county in the last hour,” Principal McLeod explained.

            Reed quickly opened his dark brown eyes at the sound of the principal’s words. “What?” he muttered, almost to himself. “But the disease just made it to New York this morning.”

            The nerd placed his index finger on his lips and obnoxiously signaled for Reed to shush. Reed curled up the top of his lip and glared icily at his fellow classmate.

            “This school will be on lockdown until further notice,” Principal McLeod notified. The end of his speech was signaled by the affirmative click of the PA system.

            Mr. Kidd and his students sat in pure silence for about five minutes. A girl’s voice, raised just above a whisper, disoriented the peace.

            “What now? Are we just supposed to sit here in silence for the rest of forever?!” the girl demanded.

                Mr. Kidd calmly signaled for her to shush, and then replied to her inquiry. “I suppose you can all chat quietly, since there is no immediate threat in the school. But I don’t want to lose my job because you all couldn’t behave, okay?” stated the teacher. The students responded with various methods of approval, such as head nods and grunts of agreement.

            Levi turned his body to face Reed, Grant, and Cassidy. Reed’s black attire and hair blended in with the surroundings. Only his pale, stark skin showed. Levi could see Grant’s shirt and hat because they were borderline neon. Cassidy’s purple shirt and radiant hair also appeared salient in the darkness.

            “Can you believe this? I’ve always felt like Principal McLeod was out to get us, but now he’s forcing us to sit in silence and darkness all because of some disease that’s not even a threat?!” Cassidy intensely whispered.

            “I think it’s a threat,” said Levi. “If it’s reached our county, then it’s pretty close. I’m worried about my family. Our families.”

            “Oh please,” began Grant. “I’ve been training for a zombie apocalypse my whole life. Bring on the feeders.”

            As Levi shivered at Grant’s horrifying but appropriate nickname for the Septics, Reed asked, “But how are you going to kick zombie booty if we’re trapped in this god awful school?”

            Grant shrugged in response, and Levi and his friends soon found other topics to discuss. This not-so-quiet lockdown continued for another hour, until the same impatient girl from before raised her voice again.