35. The Spa

The receptionist in the spa looked up from the appointment book and smiled as she spoke to Valerie and Chloe, "You've a private island villa reserved and a full staff standing by. What may we do for you?"

"I think a sauna first, and then a massage would be lovely."

"For the massage, might I recommend our African Journey Experience? It takes an hour and a half, and in addition to relaxing tired muscles, it also nourishes and revitalises the skin and provides total body glow and radiance."

Valerie nodded through the recitation, then she turned to Chloe. "What do you think, Sweetheart? That's the one I told you I so enjoyed the last time I was here."

"With the baobab oil and the herbs and the stick?"

"Exactly. It begins with a rooibos and salt exfoliation, and the masseuse uses hands and a Rangu stick."

"Let's do that, then."

A dozen minutes later, as they sat in the private sauna, Chloe asked, "Mummy?"

"Yes, Sweetheart?"

"You mentioned your mother a while ago, up in the room. First time ever. You always change the subject when I ask about our family."

"It's complex." Valerie shook her head. "No, we're beyond that now, aren't we? It's more like I didn't think you were ready to hear about it."

"I'm ready now, though, aren't I?"

"Yeah, but I don't know if I am."

"It's sad, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is, Sweetheart. Very sad."

"Do you want to wait and tell me later?"

"No, best to do it now while it's on your mind." Valerie took the wooden dipper from the pail and splashed water onto the pine slats. "Let me lie down and relax." She laughed. "Pretend I'm on a therapist's couch."

She lay silent for a long while before she began, "Mum was a performer and an entertainer."

"A famous one?"

"No, only locally known." Where do I go from here?

"What kind of performing? Singing, dancing, acting?"

"Dancing and acrobatics. She was a great pole dancer."

"For exercise, like you?" 

"I suppose, but it was part of her act as a stripper."

"Oh! So, that's why you don't talk about her. Does she still do it?" 

"She died of a drug overdose when I was young."

"Oh." Chloe contorted her face. "That's really sad. So, your father raised you on his own from then."

Oh, God! "No, we never knew who he was."

"Oh." After a long pause, Chloe continued, "Why not?"

Spill it, girl. No sense dancing around it. "Mum's performing was as a stripper in the pubs, and her entertaining was as a prostitute. My father was anonymous among her thousands of clients."

"Oh!" Chloe bobbed her head as she thought. "Yeah, I see why you hadn't told me before. You okay? You want to talk about something else now?"

Oh, God, child. "You constantly amaze me with your concern."

"You've taught me that. To always look after each other."

"Yeah." Valerie sniffled and swallowed the lump in her throat as she thought. "Mum had run away from home in her early teens, and she never told me who her family was. All I know is her father raised her, and when he began abusing her, she left."