vi. Dakota

Today was the day.

I saw Nova approaching me as the other candidates were saying goodbye to their loved ones.

"Hey." She said, smiling as she stopped right in front of me.

"Hi." I greeted back.

We were enveloped by an awkward silence.

"I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry." She suddenly blurted.

"I'm sorry too. You needed me and I wasn't the-" I was cut off when Nova tackled me into a hug. Minutes later, we started crying.

"Does this mean we're best friends again?" She asked through her tears.

"We never stopped." I answered, rubbing her back comfortingly.

"Okay candidates. Time for goodbyes are over. Please fall in line for the briefing." The MC's voice was heard through all the speakers surrounding us.

"This is it." Nova murmured, her voice faltering in the slightest.

"Nova, I love you." I confessed.

"I love you too, Dakota." She hugged me one more time, as if it were her last. She grabbed my hand, "Until we meet again." She continued, her tears slipping down her cheeks, showing a smile that never failed to brighten my day but showed the truth that her eyes held. She was afraid, heartbroken and determined. As she walked back to the candidates falling in line, she slowly let go of my hand.

She never looked back.

"I love you, Nova. More than you think I do." I whispered as tears threatened to fall. I watched her as she fell in line and entered the battles to the death.