Part 7: Overprotective

Maria was right in the fact that when Daryl got back from his hunt he was pissed

Maria was right in the fact that when Daryl got back from his hunt he was pissed. He yelled at Shane for letting her go, then he yelled at Glenn for not watching out for her and then finally he yelled at her.

"The fuck Maria?! The hell happened out there?!" Maria didn't even pay Daryl a glance as she limped past him in the direction of her tent. She really couldn't be bothered arguing with Daryl right now. She was also embarrassed that he decided to pick said fight in the middle of camp with everyone watching them. It was bad enough that he'd almost started a full on fist fight with Shane.

The sound of heavy rushed footsteps followed her and she slowly and painfully hobbled closer to her tent, her safe place. "Maria Ann Dixon don't you dare walk away from me!" She could hear Daryl growl from behind her. God how she just wanted to sleep and pretend that today was all just a bad dream.

Maria pulled the flap of her tent open and quickly entered sitting down on the small cot that just fit inside the tiny tent. She let out a loud sigh of relief as the pressure was relieved from her ankle. She slowly began to remove her boots as Daryl stormed into her tent, his face was red with anger, his jaw tightly clenched as he looked at her. Maria rolled her eyes really not in the mood for any form of conversation right now.

"The hell were you thinking huh?"

"Daryl-"

"No let me talk! How could you be so reckless huh? Are ya stupid going out there without telling me?! Then to make matters worse you hurt yourself! The world ain't sunshine and rainbows you could've died today!"

"I know!" Maria snapped "We needed food and I offered to go, I know it was stupid what I did but I did it to help the group!" Maria was furious now as her hands balked into fists "plus I didn't realise I had to report everything I do to you! I'm a grown up Daryl I can do whatever the fuck I want"

"Well maybe I would treat you like an adult if you stopped acting like a spoiled little brat!" Daryl stepped closer to Maria with his fists clenched, out of instinct Maria flinched away from him and looked down at the floor.

Daryl saw her flinched and his face immediately softened. He unclenched his fists and ran a hand down his face. He knew he was overreacting but when he saw Glenn helping he down from the RV and the look of pain on her face as she limped he just snapped. He'd always been protective of her ever since their mother died he felt he had to be the one to protect her. From bullies, the harsh world and their father. God he remembered the days he didn't get home in time and found her crying in her room with a new bruise or a new scar to add to the collection. He had always blamed himself for not getting there soon enough and he will carry that guilt with him until the day he died.

Carefully sitting on the dot next to her he place a gentle hand on her shoulder, relieved when she didn't pull away. They remained in silence for a couple of minutes before Daryl sighed and began to speak " 'm sorry that I yelled at ya" Maria looked at him out of the corner of her eye but remained silent waiting for him to continue "it's just I don't want something to happen to ya, if I lost ya I...I don't think I could make it"