twenty-four.

jeongguk biked his way to areum's house. he was extremely worried after he saw what she just messaged him. what could that mean? is it literal? is it just a joke? why would she say something like that if it's a joke.

he arrived at the house, ringing the doorbell, but no one answered. he looked for the spare key that was under the pot beside the door. areum had told him it was there. he then opened the door, dashing to areum's room.

it was locked.

he tried to pry the door open by charging his body. fortunately, after five pushes, it was opened. he probably had to pay that though, but he could careless.

he was greeted by a startled areum about to hang her neck on the rope. tears started brimming the corners of her eyes as her vision blurred.

jeongguk approached her and pulled her into a tight hug. "wanna talk about it, love?"

areum just sobbed on his shoulder, hugging him tightly. her heart was aching. over the past years she felt so useless and numb. people don't know much about that.

suddenly, a melody busted from jeongguk's phone, signaling someone was calling, but he dismissed it without even looking at the caller and continued on comforting areum, rubbing her back and whispering soothing words onto her ear.

-

after a while, areum stopped sobbing, pulling jeongguk off of her and staring at him deep in the eyes, they were on her bed.

"i don't deserve you," she said, then looking at her fingers as she fiddled with it. "oh, areum, you do," he said sweetly, holding her hands and rubbing small circles with his thumb on the back of her hand.

"i don't deserve you. you're such a precious angel." he looked at her with comfort in his eyes. though he looked like he'd been crying too. "you deserve all the stars in the world."

"you wanna know why i fell in love with you in the first place?" areum nodded, tears started forming again at the corner of her eyes as the boy across from her talked.

"because of your will on helping people," he said. "i once followed you to your home, i mean, i'm not a stalker or something." he blushed, scratching his nape, making areum laugh a bit. "it's okay," she said quietly. "yeah, anyway, that happened and on your way, you saw this little kid crying because he can't buy himself ice cream as his parents didn't give him enough money," he continued. "you gave him some of your money that you were saving for a concert that you wanted to go to."

"it wasn't much but you still decided to spare him some money. although, in the end, you were able to go to the concert because i secretly bought you tickets and gave them to yeji and you." he chuckled, making areum's eyes widen. "it was you?" she asked him, looking shocked. he nodded in response.

"also, i've always seen you feeding the cat near the convenient store we pass by to when we go home from school."

"she found a new home now," areum said. jeongguk smiles at her sweetly. "because you took care of her, that's why she was able to."

"you're so selfless and strong, please don't give up now," he said, looking at her deep in the eyes.

"i've just been feeling numb and cold lately. i smile, though i don't mean it. i laugh, though i force myself to for them to see that i'm okay, that i don't need help, that they don't worry about me. but honestly, i'm not okay. i'm so sad, but that's more of an understatement. no matter how much i convince myself that i'm good, that i'm fine, i'm honestly not. no matter how much i convince myself that everything's going to be alright, it gets worse day by day and i just don't know what to do."

areum was crying now. jeongguk pulled her into a hug again, this time, he hugged her more tightly, but still allowed her to breathe.

"it's going be okay, i'm here," jeongguk said, reassuringly. he didn't know if that would help but as soon as areum sobbed loudly, he knew it did.

-
a/n;;
that got deep.