Chapter 24

"Reedfur! Nutfleck! Goldenpelt! Gorseheart! Barkwhisker!" Emberspirit smiled as the newly made warriors grinned at each other excitedly. It was the first day of green-leaf and with every day, Lilyclouds belly grew more and more to accommodate for the tiny lives forming within her. 

Emberspirit leaped down from his place, nodding to Nightfrost, who was the new elder and she smiled back.

He glanced over at Barrantooth, who was playing with Gorseheart as he chattered excitedly.

"Those two sure are close, anyone would think that she was her mentor instead of I." Tigershade grumbled to his brother who snorted. 

"Jealous?" Lionscar teased, eyeing his son with pride. "You taught him well. No cat would be able to tell he almost went to StarClan before he left the nursery." 

Tigershade smiled, "Thank you Lionscar."

Raggedfur padded up to Nutfleck, "A warrior finally!" He purred, nuzzling her. The two had grown noticeably close during Nutflecks last few days of training, it came to no one surprise that they were mates now.

Gorseheart, too, had found someone. As now he was pressing against Barkwhisker, smiling at her goofily. 

"Amberheart, that's wonderful news!" Emberspirit turned and saw Lilycloud grinning at the golden she-cat, whose belly now looked about as big as hers.

Emberspirit padded up to her, noticing Brightnose puffed with pride. "So it seems that there will be more apprentices soon." He purred, "DeltaClan is growing strong."

"My kits will be the best at everything!" Brightnose declared, "They'll be the best hunters, be the best fighters, maybe even leader!"

"Not even born and I have competition already it seems." Emberspirit teased, feeling at ease around his mate.

Brightnose ducked down in embarrassment as nearby cats laughed at Emberspirits statement, but his excitement still shone through as he flexed his paws against the ground.

"Let's use that energy for something useful." Emberspirit rose and glanced around. Wildclaw was gone on dog patrol and Willowcoat had gone with. "Darkpoppy, Heronthroat, and Darkrunner, go mark the BreezeClan border." He ordered. "Quailfleck, Antbranch, Raggedfur, go do the StormClan border. 

"I wanna go hunting!" Swiftwhisper called making the deputy nod.

"Take whoever you wish, except Brightnose is going." He told the tom, glancing at the gray tom who shrugged. Swiftwhispers eyes glowed in amusement and he nodded, beckoning Brightnose close and then mewing to Appleblaze to come with him.

Emberspirit sat down, still slightly week from his funk of not eating and he purred gratefully as Trouttail brought him a rabbit. 

"I caught it just as it crossed the border." He said with pride before he plopped a water vole down and began to eat it.

Emberspirit wolfed his rabbit down and licked the blood from his muzzle. "Has there been news about the dog?" He felt Lilycloud press against him and he licked her ear quickly.

Trouttail nodded, "The Two-leg keeps him under control but we can't count on a Two-leg. We should attack now, in fact, Wildclaw is scouting out areas to ambush it right now."

Emberspirit frowned, "He should have told me." He murmured, "I could have gone with."

"Wildclaw knew you would feel that way, that's why he told me." Trouttail replied, "You're far too weak to be wrestling with dogs right now."

"He's right." Lilycloud said before Emberspirit could reply. "You shouldn't going around trying to play hero." 

Emberspirit shifted his gaze to Lilycloud to Trouttail to Lilycloud again. "I'm not going to win this am I?"