~ Three ~

The next day, the ground was significantly drier, so Mrs. Bowen was happy to take her girls and the Taylor twins to the park. As the group walked along, the twins, also aged four years, and Ceci formed a straight line across the sidewalk, the three of them were holding hands and swinging their arms back and forth.

Following behind them, Mrs. Bowen smiled, but Miri rolled her eyes. She whispered, "Going to the park with three babies. Grr." Feeling her mother look down at her, she acknowledged the frown which she knew her mother was bearing. She sighed and, still keeping her voice low, she said, "I just hope there are some older kids there. It has rained all week. I've only had Ceci to play with."

Mocking surprise, the mother let out an abrupt sigh. Miri shook her head and said, "And you. I've played with Ceci and you."

"I know it was probably not how you would have chosen to spend the week away from school, but surely you had some fun," Mrs. Bowen said. Seeing Miri both shrug and nod, she continued, "I am very proud of the way you have been playing with your sister. It means a lot to her that you are spending time with her."

Miri stopped and looked at her mother, who, then, stopped, as well. The girl sighed and said, "It hasn't been a horrible spring break, but I have missed my friends."

Mrs. Bowen draped her arm over the girl and they continued walking, though a little bit further behind the others than they had been. She looked down and said, "I'm still proud of how you have treated Ceci. She really looks up to you."

Smiling shyly, Miri nodded again.

When they arrived at the park, Miri looked around, noting that not a whole lot of kids were present. She did see two kids from her grade playing, but not together. Willie Anderson was digging in the sand box with a dollar store sand castle kit. Then over on the merry-go-round, Sal Vulcano and his sister were taking turns riding while the other spun the contraption.

Ceci and the twins dashed over to the slide and Mrs. Bowen followed them. Miri pouted as she trudged along behind them.

Noticing her elder daughter's moping, the woman said, "Go play, Miri. You don't have to stick with us. The Vulcano kids look like they're having fun. I bet they wouldn't mind you joining them." Seeing Miri nod and smile, the mother added, "I'd avoid the sandbox, though. Huge litter box for stray cats."

Miri laughed and shook her head. She said, "Mom?! That's so gross!"

"But it's true," Mrs. Bowen said as she shooed Miri away to play with the others.

Running toward the merry-go-round, Miri had a wide grin splayed across her young face. She stopped about five yards short of the squeaky, spinning piece of playground equipment. She saw that Kelly was currently rotating it while Sal stood in the middle daring to not hold on to any of the bars which extended as radii from the center to the outer edge.

"Well, Miri? You wanna play?" Kelly asked, stepping back, letting the merry-go-round slow on its own. Seeing Miri nod, the older girl waved her over and said, "Come on, then. When I jump on you start turning us."

Now standing next to Kelly, Miri said, "Sure. Sounds fun. We're taking turns, right?"

"Yep," Kelly answered as she took a stance, preparing to jump aboard at just the right moment.

As it slowed, Miri looked at Sal standing in the middle. He was making funny faces to make her laugh. Which, she did. He could always make her laugh, especially at school. He was the class clown, but if anyone had asked him, he would confess to only being Miri's clown.

Suddenly, Kelly, judging the speed and the distance between the bars, jumped on board. Immediately, Miri grabbed one of the bars and pulled it with all her might. The instant the speed changed, Kelly lurched toward the middle, knocking Sal down with a thud.