Chapter Four (Part 2)

Dong Fang Ao ran into Tao Tu Yun's bedchamber and saw her sitting hunched over on the bed having a coughing fit. She looked pale like she was going to disappear.

Dong Fang Ao sat on Tao Tu Yun's bed. He touched her forehead and was relieved her fever was gone.

'Are you in pain?' Dong Fang Ao asked. 'Do you want me to call you a physician?'

'I'm well,' Tao Tu Yun said. 'I don't need a physician.'

Dong Fang Ao's closeness made Tao Tu Yun feel awkward. She heard Su Wu recount how everyone at the Dong Fang Manor were worried about including Dong Fang Ao.

'Thank you for taking care of me last night,' Tao Tu Yun said.

'If you know you're sick, you should have asked Su Wu to tell me to call you a physician,' Dong Fang Ao said. 'You should fix your fear of inconveniencing other people.'

Dong Fang Ao didn't want to scold Tao Tu Yun when she was sick. But he heard Su Wu told him how Tao Tu Yun considered herself a guest and Tao Tu Yun didn't want to wear out her guest status made him angry. In his eyes, Tao Tu Yun was his family.

'Thank you...' Tao Tu Yun said and coughed.

Tao Tu Yun smiled. Her smile didn't reassure Dong Fang Ao, it hurt his heart.

Dong Fang Ao stood and turned around to see why it took a long time for Su Wu to get medicine and a meal for Tao Tu Yun. Luckily, Su Wu opened the door and brought a tray into the bedchamber. He sat back on the bed and accepted the tray from Su Wu.

'You can leave,' Dong Fang Ao said. 'I'll take care of Tu Yun.'

Su Wu was happy to see Dong Fang Ao taking care of Tao Tu Yun.

Tao Tu Yun signalled Su Wu to take over from Dong Fang Ao, but Su Wu quietly left the bedchamber.

'Tu Yun, you're still weak,' Dong Fang Ao said. 'Let me take care of you.'

Dong Fang Ao put the tray on the table. He picked up the bowl of hot congee, scooped a spoonful of congee, blew on the congee and signalled for Tao Tu Yun to open her mouth.

Tao Tu Yun conceded. She opened her mouth and Dong Fang Ao slowly fed her the bowl of congee. Then he fed her medicine and helped her lie down on the bed.

'Tu Yun, you need sleep,' Dong Fang Ao said.

Dong Fang Ao stayed with Tao Tu Yun until he thought she was asleep.

Tao Tu Yun heard Dong Fang Ao closed the doors and she sighed. She was worried about Dong Fang Ao's attachment toward her.

Tao Tu Yun took a nap. When she opened her eyes, she was shocked to see Dong Fang Ao sitting at the table next to her bed reading a book.

'Tu Yun, you're awake,' Dong Fang Ao said. 'Are you feeling better?'

'Were you here the whole time?' Tao Tu Yun asked.

Tao Tu Yun's heart hurt. She couldn't stay at the Dong Fang Manor any longer.

'Yes,' Dong Fang Ao said. 'What's wrong with me being here?'

Dong Fang Ao wouldn't get any work done if he didn't stay by Tao Tu Yun's bedside to watch over her.

'Aren't you busy?' Tao Tu Yun asked.

'Even if I'm busy, I need time to rest too,' Dong Fang Ao said.

Su Wu knocked on the door.

'Mistress, first master Dong Fang Ling's wife made you a bowl of nutritious soup,' Su Wu said.