Chapter 9 - Hello, Father and Uncle

I exited the Council's room with a distraught expression on my face. There was no feasible way for me to change Father's mind. Once his mind was set, it was next to impossible to change it. Director Fury found me as I was making my way to Steve.

"That didn't last very long." Director Fury stated before he observed the expression on my face, "Are you alright, Lily?"

I shook my head, with the fear of losing my composition, and finished the trek to Steve, who was standing next to Agent Coulson. Steve saw me making my way to him and opened one of his arms as an invitation to be embraced. I gladly accepted and tucked myself against his side. Tears filled my eyes as I breathed in his scent. I would have to say goodbye to the man I loved against my will.

"Lily, what's wrong?" Steve asked as he looked down at me.

"I'll explain later, sweetheart." I told him with a wavering grin on my face. "Don't worry about me. I'll be alright." Steve didn't like that response and excused himself from Agent Coulson before he led me to a corner of the ship. "Steve?"

"Whatever is bothering you is going to bother me too." he answered before he softened his tone. "You can rely on me, Lily."

"I do not want to cause you so much burden." I replied as I looked down at our joined hands.

"You could never do that. I'll always be there for you, Lily. Till the end of the line." Steve reassured me, even with the phrase he would use for Bucky. Tears filled my eyes once more as I looked at him before I launched myself into an embrace, which threw him into a surprise. "Lily, you have to tell me what is going on. Why are you crying so much? What upset you?"

"The Council told me that I have three days to change Father's mind before I am sent back to Asgard." I told him in as much of a calm manner that I could. "I've done nothing wrong, and yet, I am the war criminal's daughter. Please, Steve! Don't let them send me back!" I fell to tears again as Steve just let me cry against him.

"I won't let them, doll. I with you till the end of the line, remember?" Steve asked as I nodded. "When we capture your father, I'll take care of it, alright? You have enough to worry about." After that, he whispered soothing reassurances in my ear and rocked me back and forth. We stayed like that for a few moments or so before I pulled back and wiped the remaining tears on my face. "You alright?"

"I mean, not really, but it is not use crying all the time." I answered with a slight smile on my face. Steve nodded, and he led me back over to Agent Coulson. Coulson looked up as we rejoined him. "I apologize about that, sir. We just needed to talk about something."

"It's alright, Lily." Agent Coulson said. "It happens." After that, we stood there with him and waited for the face recognizer to alert us. Steve and Coulson were talking about trading cards, whatever those were. I stopped paying attention and simply enjoyed the moment of Steve holding me until another agent called out that they found my father.

"We got a hit. Sixty-seven percent match." a medium-dark agent called out. "Weight, cross match, seventy-nine percent."

"Location?" Agent Coulson asked.

"Stuttgart, Germany. 28, Konigstrasse." the agent responded. "He's not exactly hiding."

"Captain," Director Fury called out, "you're up." Steve nodded, kissed the top of my head, and left to change.

"Director, you have to let me go with him." I demanded Director Fury. "You do not know what you are up against."

"I suppose you do?" Director Fury inquired. "You were here while Loki was causing havoc on Asgard."