Shot - 5 (A)

Next Day ….

She didn't have many patients that afternoon. After wrapping up her last consultation, she began tidying up her desk and clearing out junk from the drawers. She was thankful to herself for not doing this earlier as her thoughts and feelings were all over the place and she needed this activity badly now to sort through them.  

Before Pihu had walked in on them at her Amma’s place last evening,  he had again looked at her as though he was bursting from within to say something. But how would she know, when she had been a coward again and had kept herself busy with something or the other and then delayed going into their bedroom until she was sure he had slept. It was like craving for something one moment and then trying to get away from it the very next moment. It was “Paithyam,” she admitted to herself.  

A loud knock on the door made her look up and before she could answer, the person entered. Her face lit up at the sight of him.

“Oh My God!!  Is that really you???” she beamed at him, surprise evident in her tone.

“Yes Bhabhi.! Main hi hoon!!” He smiled brightly in return and walking up to her, hugged her warmly.

“When did you reach Delhi Mihir?? And look at you!! She paused and looked him up and down,  taking stock of his appearance.  Overgrown unruly hair, a full beard, black casual shirt worn over a rugged pair of jeans and tan boots.

“You look so different...yeh dhaadi..lambe baal.. Aur yeh kapde.. I guess aadhi duniya ghoom ne ke baad insaan ka look badal jaata hai”

He laughed at her reaction. “Sirf look badla hai Bhabhi.. Insaan toh main wahi hoo..aur Dilli toh main kal hi pohanch gaya tha.. Dopeher ki flight thi meri.”

“ Baitho tum” she made him sit down before going around the desk to occupy her chair.  

“ Aur batao..Kaisa raha tumhara trip? Kahan kahan ghume? Last I heard, you were in Amsterdam?”  She enquired excitedly, only to see the smile leave his face.

“I am very sorry Bhabhi” He looked at her only for a moment before lowering his eyes.

“ Sorry kyun bol rahe ho Mihir?” She asked, baffled.  

“ Itna sab kuch ho gaya yahan..I couldn't be here.. I didn't even know!! Aur jab mujhe pata chala, tab tak Ruhi wapis aa gayi thi.”

“Exactly! You didn’t know ! How is that your fault?”

“Because I chose not to keep in touch.. Main uss waqt Ecuador mein tha. Sirf ek baar baat hui thi meri Raman Bhai se..tab unhone iss baare mein kuch bhi nahin bola tha...I left for Amazon from there. Uske baad toh...for many days I was in a no-connectivity zone. And I guess I got used to it..wahan se laut ne ke baad bhi I didn't bother to contact anyone. Main apne hi duniya mein tha..”

He raked his hand through his hair  and tried to hold them back from falling on his forehead.

“Pihu would be happy to share a few of her hair clips with you.” She quipped, making him smile.

“Everyone deserves a break Mihir. Iss mein kuch galat nahin hai. Khud ke saath time spend kar na bhi important hota hai. Don't fret over
it.”  She tried to make him feel better.

“Ruhi kaisi hai ab?”  

“She’s doing great. College join kar ne wali hai.” She informed him happily.

“That's great Bhabhi..I can't wait to see her.. ..and everyone actually.. Bhai se bhi mil na hai..”

“Raman se mile nahi tum?” She was surprised that he came to see her first.